Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Estate Find - 1944 Swiss Pony Fur Rucksack

Article about: Hi Guys, Here is another find of mine from the same estate sale last week. It's a 1944 Swiss rucksack. I couldn't find a Swiss section to put it under and since the Swiss are known as the ni

Default Estate Find - 1944 Swiss Pony Fur Rucksack

Hi Guys, Here is another find of mine from the same estate sale last week. It's a 1944 Swiss rucksack. I couldn't find a Swiss section to put it under and since the Swiss are known as the nice Germans - I stuck it here. Haha. It is in overall nice condition and a very high quality item. A couple of things for the forum members - Does anyone know of a period photo of this in wear? I can't seem to find one and I think it would be nice to put with the piece. Secondly, The left bottom of the strap appears to be broken at the latch, however, when I have found others online - the look the same. Hardware all looks like it has always been like it currently is but the won't latch - ideas?

Estate Find - 1944 Swiss Pony Fur RucksackEstate Find - 1944 Swiss Pony Fur RucksackEstate Find - 1944 Swiss Pony Fur RucksackEstate Find - 1944 Swiss Pony Fur RucksackEstate Find - 1944 Swiss Pony Fur Rucksack
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Estate Find - 1944 Swiss Pony Fur Rucksack   Estate Find - 1944 Swiss Pony Fur Rucksack  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Estate Find - 1944 Swiss Pony Fur Rucksack
    P
    Many

Cow hide - not "pony" by the way. NH

Hi Neil, Sorry I must have said it wrong. I know that they were made from cow hide, but I was told that they were nicknamed pony pack. I do see how the title would be confusing. Thanks

Nick

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    Cow hide - not "pony" by the way. NH

^Nick. It is just a pet peeve : ) You might be able to do a general ebay search for Swiss Army roller buckles and find a replacement. It looks like the roller buckle on the left broke causing the pin to spin around. Best photo I could find shows the full pack to good effect. NH

Thanks Neil. I will search for this piece to get it back in peak condition.

Hi Neil. Do you have the link for this picture - I would like to print it and keep with the pack? I was able to find similar images, but not this exact one. Thanks
    Nick

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    ^Nick. It is just a pet peeve : ) You might be able to do a general ebay search for Swiss Army roller buckles and find a replacement. It looks like the roller buckle on the left broke causing the pin to spin around. Best photo I could find shows the full pack to good effect. NH

I don't know the origin of the photo. I searched using google images and this is what I found. Looks to be from a manual. NH

Hi,

I've attached a picture of the "broken latch" from another pack and it has the same hardware. I have found three rucksacks for sale and they all have this same hardware in the same configuration. At this point, I am not thinking that this is broken, but a quick release system. The pack can still be worn by a simple hooking as shown on my piece. Thoughts?

Nick

Hello.
    You were talking of a problem on the left so I was confused for a bit but I guess that in fact you meant the right strap on the bag, so I can answer you clearly : all swiss fur backpacks ( M98, M42, M98/42 ) are made in the same way, you do not have to buy or modify anything, this is indeed a quick release system. At first the backpacks had only a hook made of simple wire as the one on your pack, and around 1944/45 the new wider and sturdier version, as shown just above, appeared.

Thank you Edward. - that makes sense. My mom was actually visiting last week and she said she would love to have it to decorate her mountain home in Asheville, NC. It is up there now - so I will see it soon enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast