Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Excuse me Mr MG42, I might have found your belt !

Article about: Hello Chaps Another "find" at a local auction. The seller claims the belt below is for a WW2 German MG42. I have had excellent service from him previously so I have no reason to do

Default Excuse me Mr MG42, I might have found your belt !

Hello Chaps

Another "find" at a local auction. The seller claims the belt below is for a WW2 German MG42. I have had excellent service from him previously so I have no reason to doubt his sencerity. However, I am skeptical of this item as it seems in (perhaps) too good a condition, I don't see any German WW2 markings that I am familiar with and I know that the MG42 was widley used after the war by various countries (I believe some are still in use).

The starting bid is around $28 ... is this item legit or would it be better to pass on it ?

Looking forward to your input.

Warm regards

Andrew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Excuse me Mr MG42, I might have found your belt !   Excuse me Mr MG42, I might have found your belt !  

Attached Images Attached Images Excuse me Mr MG42, I might have found your belt !  Excuse me Mr MG42, I might have found your belt !  Excuse me Mr MG42, I might have found your belt !  Excuse me Mr MG42, I might have found your belt !  Excuse me Mr MG42, I might have found your belt !  Excuse me Mr MG42, I might have found your belt !  Excuse me Mr MG42, I might have found your belt !  Excuse me Mr MG42, I might have found your belt ! 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Excuse me Mr MG42, I might have found your belt !
    P
    Many

Default Re: Excuse me Mr MG42, I might have found your belt !

Hi

These belts (MG34 btw) can be found here in europe in large ammounts.... not too long ago I paid aprox 5 euro a piece, and they were all dated....

I don't know how easy they are obtainable these days, but I wouldn't pay more then 10-15 euro (15 - 20 $) for a belt

And... yes, they are in unused condition (the ones I got were full of grease)

Tom
    MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website

Hi Tom

Thank-you for your input. MG34, now that is intresting :-) Wha identifies a belt as 34 or 42 ? Also, any idea why there are so many in unused condition ? Lastly, is there anything to the belt that would identify it is a German belt from WW2 ... not sure if other countires used the MG34.

Thanks in advance,

Yours

Andrew

The belts after the war have a different color, because of the protection. And during the war you hahe the date like here. In France we have people collecting all markings on the belts, starting belts...

Hi Andrew, the belts were interchangeable between the two guns.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The belts were indeed interchangeable.... but a 1940 dated belt clearly was not produced for the MG42

The belts are identified by the stamps (maker marks, dates and sometime (not allways) waffenamt stamps

Tom
    MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website

Hi all

Thank-you once again for the input. So just for my own understanding does the "40" stamped into the belt definitely denote the year of manufacture ? Also, is $28 a realistic price and would you be comfortable buying this as a "genuine" piece of WW2 German kit ? I haven't seen anything on the forums regarding "faked" ammo belts and I assume this is because the value is so low ? I'm aiming more for peace of mind rather than loosing money :-)

Hi Andrew, 40 is indeed the year of manufacture.

$28 would be top price here in the UK for me to pay.

They are not faked per se, but post war examples do get sold as wartime.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hello Chaps

I gave the item a miss at auction as it just seemed "too new" to be displayed with my few other WW2 items. Silly reason I know but hey, I saved $25 :-) Thank-you for your input, much appreciated.