Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fishy MP44 Pouches

Article about: Hey all. I have yet another question regarding MP44 pouches. I recently found these suspicious-looking ones here: MP44/StG44 MAGAZINE POUCH : World War I / II at GunBroker.com Some things do

Default Fishy MP44 Pouches

Hey all.

I have yet another question regarding MP44 pouches. I recently found these suspicious-looking ones here: MP44/StG44 MAGAZINE POUCH : World War I / II at GunBroker.com

Some things don't look quite right to me. For example, the pouch's overall condition seems too good to be true. Also, the threads joining the leather to the pouch seem too new to be legitimate WW2. In addition, the belt straps on the pouch's rear are positioned awkwardly (to my knowledge). Finally, the Wa204 code doesn't match with the 1945 date. My conclusion is that these are likely postwar fakes. May someone please enlighten me with their knowledge regarding this subject?

Much thanks,
    Searinox

Here are some pictures below:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fishy MP44 Pouches   Fishy MP44 Pouches  

Fishy MP44 Pouches   Fishy MP44 Pouches  

Fishy MP44 Pouches   Fishy MP44 Pouches  

Fishy MP44 Pouches  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fishy MP44 Pouches
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Fishy MP44 Pouches

Not to sure about its authenticity. It looks old, but who knows. About the belt straps, they are actually positioned "awkwardly" on the reverse on authentic pouches, but these seem angled to the extreme, so I don't know...

Matthew

I am not convinced: these are cut like very early style pouches with a single closing flap, so why the 45 date........

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for the feedback. But to answer your question, Ade, I believe that during the final days of the Third Reich, when supplies of everything were stripped to the bone, manufacturing an MP44 pouch like this with a single flap would be a much cheaper and quicker alternative than a pouch with three flaps. This would maximize the use of more plentiful tan canvas and minimize the use of expensive and scarce leather or presstoff.
    And while I'm no expert on MP44 pouches, reverting back to the early-pattern pouches would account for the late 1945 date, enabling the rapidly disintegrating Third Reich to equip its troops with ammo pouches as the factories fell, one by one, to the advancing Allies.

I suppose anything is possible, but this design was rejected due to the mags falling out too easily. To revert to a failed design, I find hard to believe.

Some info on WaA marks can be found here:

http://claus.espeholt.dk/mediearkiv/waae.pdf

Cheers, Ade.

ian
    ?

just a thought but doesnt the waffenampt look a little to crisp and nice ??
    going by the other leather parts it seems that that part is is to new and the waff is just to precise and sharp
    IMO ian

?

Quote by ian View Post
    just a thought but doesnt the waffenampt look a little to crisp and nice ??
    That's what I was thinking. The leather looks to be old (or is aged), yet, you'd expect to see some blurring/smudging on the stamp, but the edges are very crisp...

Thanks for the feedback. So is it real or fake?

?

Quote by Searinox View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. So is it real or fake?
    Things look right, and other things look wrong. I can't stand owning something in question, even if it is a good deal. I personally would pass on it, but that's not saying it's fake. I think it's kind of a personal preference.

Matthew

I would not invest in these pouches. Highest grade replicas are available from the Czech republic at the moment again and even appear on ebay. The material "Sackleinen" with red stripe matches the material of these replicas. Originals which can be seen in museums are of a less coarse, sturdier fabric (but variations do occur).
    The leather fittings especially at the D Ring look cut out by hand, not an saddlers equipment. I don't like the even IMO artificial rust on the D-Ring. D-Ring usually would have a coat of paint or zinc or similar coating and therefore wouldn't rust so evenly.
    I would pass on this one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast