Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flying Goggles German??

Article about: Hi All, I have seen alot of this style pop up lately and it makes me wonder if they are post war or even german? Does anyone have any idea about this stlye? Thanks John

Default Flying Goggles German??

Hi All,
    I have seen alot of this style pop up lately and it makes me wonder if they are post war or even german? Does anyone have any idea about this stlye?
    Thanks
    John
    Flying Goggles German??Flying Goggles German??Flying Goggles German??Flying Goggles German??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Flying Goggles German??
    P
    Many

Charles Lindbergh, Amelia Earhart and many other pre-war aviators from many countries can be seen wearing similar ones so I would place them in the era but not necessarily ONLY of German origin.

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flying Goggles German??   Flying Goggles German??  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

They are 'Leon Jeantet Aviator Retro' goggles.

Or rather that is what the goggle model is called today. Nothing 'retro' about it when it was first made of course.

They have been made like that by hand for over a hundred years. Only the padding is a bit different on the current crop.

Note the very distinctive hinge or sliding adjustable bar between the lenses (which are interchangeable BTW)

The adjustable bracket between the lenses is exactly the same. And a very nice one it is; you can adjust the bar for different face sizes (very nice for us with narrow horse faces). You just adjust it to your face width and set the screw, when the desired witdh has been achieved.

Davida markets them amongst others:
    Davida Products : Aviator_Retro

About 'Leon Jeantet:'
    "The Jeantet company history goes well over 125 years since it was founded in 1880.
    In 1929 Leon Jeantet created a new eyewear for all motorcyclist, car driver or airplaine pilots.
    He called his new design "Aviator Goggle". Sixty manual movement is required to produce a
    single pair of goggle. The brand Aviator Goggle by Leon Jeantet represent tradition and quality."

Classic Goggles: - Aviator Goggle 4440
    They can be had with frames in gunmetal, black, gold and chrome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flying Goggles German??  

Thank you for the replies, I want to put them on my Luftwaffe flying helmet and the german Auer model goggles are very expensive, 300US and up! this stlye is alot cheaper under 100, I just wanted to make sure it would be proper for display purposes.

they will do ok.

You must be careful of the white 'rubber' on these.
    It breaks down, sticks to itself and anything else
    it comes in contact with as it deteriorates.
    I use a paper towel in between and
    it even sticks to that.........!
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 12-12-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Additions.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the tip steve, maybe if I treat the rubber with something to prevent that, like a clearcoat of some sort, but I dont want to get myself into a "sticky" situation

Talcum powder might work ( on the goggles, that is ) ;-)
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Here my original mint Luftwaffe 'Flieger - Splitterschützbrillen mit Ultrasin-Gläsern A,' that I got from the guy who liberated them.

They are in the box or rather tin, they were born with. Mint, unissuied goggles. The lenses and frames are without scratches, cracks or any type of wear at all. The tin has picked up a few dents since the War.

This type of goggles would be amongst the ones to shoot for, if you want German Luftwaffe related goggles.

The others will work fine IMO, as they have been made for a long time

?

Several makers made goggles during and before WWII;
    N&G Rathenow, Carl Zeiss, Ernst Leitz, Phillip Winter, O.W. Wagner, Nitsche & Günther, Knothe, Cellowaro, Bauer, Uvex and Auer.

It seems, that Auer made (also) made goggles of the type in the first post. Whether or not they are so marked I dont know. Ive seen Auer goggles with the Auer logo, but they were of a different design.

See here - scroll down to the bottom/goggles.Several Auer goggles there:
    The Collector's Guild

In fact, they look like your goggles. Your goggles look like the Auer Model 306

Further more, if you make a search for 'Auer model 306 goggles' and scroll down, you will see a model like yours with the white(ish) padding. Padding slightly different configuration though.

Your goggles might actually be Auer goggles - maybe they are, if the (almost) same model was made by different makers.

How ever, the page (veteransfootlocker.com) wont open on my PC right now.

Arent there any markings on your goggles - check the nose bridge?
    Some of this type are marked for example 'O.W.42' for O.W. Wagner on the bridge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast