Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Gas mask canister question

Article about: I'm no expert on gas mask canisters, but am looking for one to complete a display. I saw this one today with an unfamiliar catch. I'm wondering whether this catch is simply a variant on the

Default Gas mask canister question

I'm no expert on gas mask canisters, but am looking for one to complete a display.
    I saw this one today with an unfamiliar catch.
    I'm wondering whether this catch is simply a variant on the normal spring loaded / tensioner type catch, or is it non WH issue?
    Also wondering what red flags to look out for when purchasing a gas mask canister with straps (not too bothered whether it has contents or not)?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gas mask canister question  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gas mask canister question
    P
    Many

Hello,
    this catch is the early type of catch found on M30 canisters (the one with high lid) used by the Wehrmacht Heer.
    If you want to buy a complete canister, you need to focuse on type (M30, M36, early M38, middle war M38 and late war M38), paint (is it the factory paint? is it a postwar paint?) and straps (beware of Bundeswehr straps)...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thanks for the info.
    Just wondering if there is a good on-line feference source for gas masks & canisters? There appears to be a dearth of information compared to uniforms, headgear and insignia.

Your catch is fine, Tom has a website that nicely illustrates the various types you might encounter.

MP44.nl - German Uniforms and Equipment - Gasmaske

There are Chinese copies about, but the quality is poor.

That's brilliant. Thanks!

There are also one or two variations of gasmask container for Luftschutz gasmasks too, which include a shorter fluted version and the large topped containers made by Auer. Some of these are marked with a RL code as per the list below;

http://www.gasmasklexikon.com/Page/G...Luftschutz.htm