Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Gas mask mystery!

Article about: Hi. I bought this on Ebay for \\$50. Did I get what I paid for? It has a swastika on it..wondering what exactly this gas mask is? Is it civilian? Or military? Bottom is stamped 1937. Pictures

Default Re: Gas mask mystery!

the term GM most likely comes from gasmaske, the German translation fo gas mask, or it could be after the first German gas mask with a front mounted filter, The Gummishutzmaske. The Gummishutzmaske was also known as the GM15, the 15 coming from the year it went into production 1915. This can be seen with many German masks like the GM17 Ledershutzmaske (1917) and the GM18 (1918).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gas mask mystery!
    P
    Many

Fred Green
    ?

Greetings All,

I understand the GM part but what about the model year 35? Where did this termonology come from? I know of a gas mask model 1930 and a gas mask 1938. I have never heard of aGM35.

Fred

either did I until I seen this thread but a friend said that he had seen the name GM35 on several occasions, and I've trusted him because he knows a lot about German Chemical Protection Equipment.

?

So I guess I got a really good deal on Ebay haha! Still confused on whether this is civilian or military use gas mask.

I'd say that its civil defence, or issued to important civilians

Fred Green
    ?

Greetings All,

Your mask is an early Army issue model 1930 gas mask and filtey. The filter on the mask is a model 37.The filter is labeled for civilian use because it has been outdated by the modal 41 and model 42 filters.

Fred

Fred Green
    ?

Greetings All,

Here are some pages from "Deutsche Soldaten"By Agustin Saiz.
    The first two pictures are of civilian mask.The one with the red filter was produced by Draeger. Notice the can similarity. The straps are rivited on though.The mask was used commercially.We then have the Volksmaske which was issued to the civilian population at large.

The next two pictures are of the model 1930 Army issue gasmask. Notice the lettering on the snout,the early FE37 filter and the rubberized material of the mask proper.

Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gas mask mystery!   Gas mask mystery!  

Gas mask mystery!   Gas mask mystery!  

Hello Gentlemen & Fellow Members,
    Fred is quite right here. There is no mistery.
    This Gasmask is an early GM30 known as the "S-Mask" when issued to civilians. It could be army also, depending on the date of manufacture. This early type was quickly discontinued in the army, and replaced with a GM30 that included an improved snoot.
    The one that started the thread is made of rubberized cloth, with the early type of snoot in 2 parts. The filter is indeed of civilian use, as the canister, designed from the M30 army canister, but with changes : latch, lack of the fourth central metal loop...etc....
    this kind of set was issued to the Luftschutz as well.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

I've done some further research, and Fred is correct with what he's found, sorry for passing on that non-solid information I got from one of my friends.

Danny

Fred Green
    ?

Greetings,
    It happens to all of us! The moderator here,JP, corrected me on another forum which in turn made me set down and do some research. That helped me tremendously and I will be ever thank ful to him.

Fred

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast