Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gas Masks and Tin Identification

Article about: There seems to be a lot of uncertainty concerning the German gas masks ant containers, date and code identifying can be a nightmare so I enclose this web site which may help throw some much

Ravenhook
    ?

Default Gas Masks and Tin Identification

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty concerning the German gas masks ant containers, date and code identifying can be a nightmare so I enclose this web site which may help throw some much needed light on the subject.
    Many of you will probably be aware of this site but for those of us who need help, here it is...MP44.nl - Welcome to my new Website the main site and...MP44.nl - German Uniforms and Equipment - Gasmaske for those masks.
    Hope this is helpful.

2. # ADS

Ravenhook
    ?

Default Re: Gas Masks and Tin Identification

My pleasure, I have 2, 1x1939 in an oval short tin and the other a 1944 standard one, both made by Draeger.

Nice website...
    thanks for sharing with us

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Ravenhook
    ?

As requested, here are some pics of the 1939 model...

as you can see, this particular one was designated for the Luftschutz and although it is not suitable for re-enacting as such, it is a beautiful mint example of its type. The eye pieces retain their paper covers and are dated 1939, the mask is still soft around the face area and the filter has its label and retains both end pieces the large front one looks like the ring pull top from a dog food tin, this too is dated marz 1939.

These are the standard army issue.....

The first picture shows the fixing, this has the marking frn44 stamped on it.
    The second pic is the bottom of the can..D..Draeger, this company interestingly still exists and makes...gasmasks.
    The third pic is the mask and filter, the mask is dated 1944 on the eye pieces under the securing ring. The filter is an earlier dated model, and so is not original to mask and tin...but in fine condition and acceptable for re-enactment.
    The final picture is of the spare lens compartment this has the marl rlt 44.
    Hope you like them...I do.

Hello Ravenhook,
    thanks again for sharing your interest for german gasmask sets
    The carrying strap on the last canister posted is postwar Bundeswehr
    thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :

Ravenhook
    ?

The carrying strap on the last canister posted is postwar Bundeswehr
    Absolutely, the weave is a lot coarser, its too green and its totally different to the lid release strap. I will get the correct strap for this when I get the cape bag and straps to go with it.

?

Hello All !
    Very nice gas masks and canisters !
    The " D " on the bottom of the canister does not mean " Dräger " , but " Dicht " or water tight . You can Find this " D " on the bottom of military issue gas mask canisters made by Dräger or Auer .

Best Regards ,
    Subjoe

Ravenhook
    ?

Thanks for that Subjoe, its good to know these things.
    Perhaps the MP44.nl - Welcome to my new Website website could be included in a sticky, as its been a great source of information to me.

Hello,
    Following the official text of November 26th of 1941, the canister is reinforced in order to be more dust/waterproof. The bottom, the longitudinal seam were reinforced, while a rubber seal was added inside the lid. In fact this process started late 1939 in some factories...
    thanks

In Memoriam :

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast