Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Gebirgsjager glasses

Article about: I have had these mountain glasses for about 25 years and they were were given to me by an old climbing partner with a bunch of other kit before he passed away. I did know they were quite old

?

Default Gebirgsjager glasses

I have had these mountain glasses for about 25 years and they were were given to me by an old climbing partner with a bunch of other kit before he passed away. I did know they were quite old so I had put them away for safe keeping in the wife's china cabinet .Then about a year ago I started to collect TR and I found an image of them on the internet it was then I came to the realization what they truly were . I have yet to purchase any books on the Gebirgsjager and there kit ( can anybody recommend one ? ) So all of my info has come via the internet as best I can tell they are early war construction and there is only 1 detail that I can find that supports this fact. The rubber seals that are attached to the aluminum eye cups are attached using hollow rivets instead of being sewn or wired on as I have seen with later war examples. I do not know if this is true or not can anyone clarify this fact or does anyone have any further details on these types of glasses ? They would appear to be complete with the exception of a missing staple that is supposed to go through the headstrap there is evidence of a small rust stain in the photos were the staple used to be .

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gebirgsjager glasses   Gebirgsjager glasses  

Gebirgsjager glasses   Gebirgsjager glasses  

Last edited by Mark K; 01-26-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: spelling

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gebirgsjager glasses
    P
    Many

Default Re: Gebirgsjager glasses

I'm not an expert but I'm afraid these glasses were made after 1945.

?

Thanks for the imput on them I as well pretend to be no expert it has been more of a game of trying to match images to the ones I own . What are your thoughts on the post war construction if you dont mind me asking.

Regards Mark K

I do not like these rivets and rubber seals. It is hard to find close up photos of the WWII period Gebirgsjäger glasses but maybe some forum members still have some.

?

You hit the nail on the head there !!! this has been one of my biggest problems as well finding good detailed close up images .Or detailed period photographs for comparison I have looked at a lot of different glasses and found reference two the hollow rivets on only one site . If they were correct in there details I am unshur thanks for the imput it would be nice to know either way if they are TR period or just a nice set of antique mountain glasses.

Regards Mark K