Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German 20l Jerry can found in a Jersey attic October 2011

Article about: This Jerry can is a standard 20l German fuel can of the time. It's dated 1940 making it 71 years old. It is in really good condition and has its original paint finish. What is a little diffe

Default German 20l Jerry can found in a Jersey attic October 2011

This Jerry can is a standard 20l German fuel can of the time. It's dated 1940 making it 71 years old. It is in really good condition and has its original paint finish. What is a little different and that I have not seen before is the black stencilled "HEER" on the bottom front edge of the can. This can although nothing rare or unusual was a nice surprise, it was found whilst a friend was doing an attic clearance. It just goes to show that you never know what will turn and when.
    All the best from Jersey,
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German 20l Jerry can found in a Jersey attic October 2011   German 20l Jerry can found in a Jersey attic October 2011  

German 20l Jerry can found in a Jersey attic October 2011   German 20l Jerry can found in a Jersey attic October 2011  

German 20l Jerry can found in a Jersey attic October 2011  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German 20l Jerry can found in a Jersey attic October 2011
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: German 20l Jerry can found in a Jersey attic October 2011

Nice Find!!
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Very nice find! Thanks for showing.

Regards

very nice find mate with an unusual but nice twist with the heer sign

tom

I like it.
    One item I need to get for the collection.
    chris

?

I have one supposedly from Afrika Korps stamped 1942 Werhmact. It's "sand" or coyote brown so i guess it should be from A K.

?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    I have one supposedly from Afrika Korps stamped 1942 Werhmact. It's "sand" or coyote brown so i guess it should be from A K.
    Sand or tan camo paint was common all over the eastern front as well !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Thank you for the info. I thought it was from A K because of the color. I wrote "supposedly" having learned that not many things in this hobby or collector life is certain. I will say it's definitely from the Eastern Front then.

?

D, your kanister is a 1940 Muller Schwelmer Eisenwerk u. Co of Schwelm, Westphalia production from batch run 63 (nice, early number). They made kanisters there throughout the war. Below, compare my early "X" pattern kanister, also a Muller Schwelmer, from '39. Muller Schwelmer produced the rare "X" pattern cans between 1937 and 1941.

Regarding the tan/sand coloured painted kanisters, Dunkelgelb cans were common all over the Eastern front, as was correctly stated above. The rare Wasserkanisters were also painted this colour. A really good example is shown below. Also visible is the painted "W" mark on the handle section, to designate the kanister was to be used only for water. In my opinion, the painted "heer", the large painted white crosses and w's on water cans and various other markings add quite nice touches to these items.

More photographs of these kanisters are visible in the Third Reich Militaria For Sale section (forgive the blatant plug!), as I am currently looking to sell a few of my larger items.

Hope this information helps a little D.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German 20l Jerry can found in a Jersey attic October 2011   German 20l Jerry can found in a Jersey attic October 2011  

German 20l Jerry can found in a Jersey attic October 2011   German 20l Jerry can found in a Jersey attic October 2011  

?

This is exactly the kind of Jerry can we have(WASSER 20L). Thank you for the info mate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast