Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Assault Pack/ A Frame

Article about: Hi Guys, I need your expert opinion on this recently acquired item. I just bought this German A Frame Assault Pack from an online dealer, however I have been looking over it and I have a lot

Default German Assault Pack/ A Frame

Hi Guys,

I need your expert opinion on this recently acquired item. I just bought this German A Frame Assault Pack from an online dealer, however I have been looking over it and I have a lot of doubts as to it's origins and originality. It appears that someone in the past has used blanco and /or paint on the webbing and it looks like the leather straps have been added after manufacture. Is it original or a very old reproduction? I have already contacted the dealer who will refund me the money I paid for it but I want to make sure.

thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Assault Pack/ A Frame   German Assault Pack/ A Frame  

German Assault Pack/ A Frame   German Assault Pack/ A Frame  

German Assault Pack/ A Frame   German Assault Pack/ A Frame  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Assault Pack/ A Frame
    P
    Many

Hello,,
    It is an original A-frame that has been "reworked", at least covered with some tick "blanco/paint"...
    Concerning both straps being replaced or not, more detailed photos are required here...as i have already seen utility straps factory mounted on A-frames, instead of the usual straps
    It may be an attempt to rigidify the A-Frame
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Default A Frame

A couple of more pictures of the Frame in question. It appears to have green blanco on the reverse and another thing is that it is missing the Mess Tin strap at the top and the actual "tunnel" in the webbing to allow this strap to loop through. The other two leather straps have been crudely attached to the webbing with copper rivets.

thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Assault Pack/ A Frame   German Assault Pack/ A Frame  

Are more detailed or close up pictures required to aid a correct identification?

Please let me know.

Thanks
    Ian

I actually like it...the leather shows proper age, the riveting appears correct and shows the expected age-discoloration, and the hardware is original as well...It also shows some light use...Perhaps a late-war piece, but I don't think it's a Reproduction...
    cheers, Glenn

Do you guys think I should try and remove the blanco / paint ?

Leave it just the way it is...that Coating also serves as an impregnation, protecting the Webbing-Material from moisture and the elements....It also adds Stiffness/Rigidness to the piece...
    cheers, Glenn

Neither "Rigidify" nor " Rigidness" lads. ..

The word you were looking for is 'Rigidity'

There, I can contribute something after all
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thanks guys, looks like I have been lucky with this purchase.

Ian

Hello,
    For me it is not such a good deal, unless you got it for very little money...

- fully covered with paint/blanco
    - both Zeltbahn straps obviously replaced with utility straps
    - slits for the messkit strap sealed with paint

IMO you'll never be fully satisfied when you'll look at it, and if you want to sell it one day, it's gonna be a tough task to achieve...
    At this point, we can say that the item is more than field used or slightly damaged, it is crudely repaired and modified...if i can give you an advice, get a refund and wait for a better example, there are still items out there...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast