Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Canteen

Article about: Hi guys, This was something I picked up at a gun show last weekend for next to nothing. I have been missing a canteen from my display so I'm glad that I finally have one. I would appreciate

Default German Canteen

Hi guys,

This was something I picked up at a gun show last weekend for next to nothing. I have been missing a canteen from my display so I'm glad that I finally have one.

I would appreciate any information you can give me about it. The cup looks like it was repainted at some point, I would assume for post-war use. It is stamped and dated on the back. (MN 44)

Thanks for your help,
    Mo

P.S. I apologize for the poor photos. I can't figure out how to turn off the auto flash/focus on my phone's camera.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Canteen   German Canteen  

German Canteen   German Canteen  

German Canteen   German Canteen  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Canteen
    P
    Many

Default Re: German Canteen

Nice one! The cup seems to have original paint on it, also the first layer of red is showing, typical late war piece. Is the bottle itself iron or alu?

The bottle is aluminum. Were these always painted red first?

only late war steel canteen bodies were painted red

I think the cup is steel and the body is aluminum.

This is a late war steel cup. You may see traces of red primer under the olive paint on the cup. You can find markings in several places including manufacturer and date. Check the neck of the canteen just below the cap, inside the cover along the snap line and perhaps on the carbine hook. Look there for additional markings and post them. NH

Hello,
    That's a put together item but still nice. German canteen are great...
    You can find steel cups with or without red primer underneath the green paint.
    You can even find cups with the red primer only, no green (they're quite rare).
    Usually the metal loop of the cup should be at the front of the canteen and handles should be at the back.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Hey guys,

The only markings I can find on it are the manufacturer and date on the back of the cup. It says MN 44.

The cup might be steel I suppose. I really don't know anymore. It felt really light and aluminum-like but I could be wrong.

Hi Obkrieger,

I have the same cup, markings and original paint, the cup is in steel. The marking "MN" is not repertoried in "Deutsche Fertigungskennzeichen bis 1945"
    Regards.
    Carfin.
    German Canteen
    German Canteen

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Hey guys,

The only markings I can find on it are the manufacturer and date on the back of the cup. It says MN 44.

The cup might be steel I suppose. I really don't know anymore. It felt really light and aluminum-like but I could be wrong.

Hello,
    MN is the maker of the cup only...it is made of steel, no doubt about it...
    There should be a maker mark on the neck of the canteen, on the lining of the cover (where the studs are), on the leather strap and on the canteen's lid if it's made of aluminium. There are usually 4 or 5 markings on each complete german M31 canteen....
    Have a closer look everywhere and you'll find more markings...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast