Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German "coconut" canteen

Article about: Hey guys simple question was "coconut canteen" was used during the North Afrika campaign? I think it was used more for southern Europe (Italy, Greece… extra.) If you think it North

Default German "coconut" canteen

Hey guys simple question was "coconut canteen" was used during the North Afrika campaign?

I think it was used more for southern Europe (Italy, Greece… extra.)

If you think it North Afrikia, please show photo evidence

Comments welcomed

Thanks
    Franz
    (if a thread on this subject, post please)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German "coconut" canteen
    P
    Many

Default Re: German "coconut" canteen

I have seen at least one period DAK picture where the coconut is present, cannot find it from computer, though. These cocos were largely issued for all fronts as the war progressed.
    Last edited by gnadenlose; 05-19-2011 at 06:07 PM.

I'm sure they were also on Eastern front, Army Group North used them in Kurland, I have dug out several of them on summer 1944 - spring 1945 German possitions and one in Soviet bunker town.

i understand late part of the war on the eastern front. (Inf Div 121)
    DAK all i see are 1 lt canteens with webing strap. would like to see the DAK pic with coconut canteen.

Great footage of soldier's of DAK taken in prison. Mostly you can only see the regular felt covered canteens, but at 13:09 the soldier on the left does appear to take a drink from a "coconut" canteen.
    YouTube - ‪TUNISIAN CAMPAIGN, 05/09/1943‬‏

At 0.07 a guy appears from left and he seems to have nice glossy coco with him: YouTube - ‪coco1.avi‬‏

But of course it is likely that the cocos were never especially designed for DAK. The key is not the cover material but the webbing straps, which makes sense in tropics.

these canteens may have originally been designed for tropical use but 1943 onwards they were issued and appeared in most theatres where the german soldier was posted. most of these canteens that you will come across will be dated from 1941 onwards, i have never seen one before this date, maybe it is because 1942 a lot of equipment was introduced especially for north africa and other tropical theatres. A lot of collectors seem to think anything with canvas straps or tan paint etc is DAK but this is wrong as this equipment served worldwide with the german army. for instance if you see a tan painted item on a dealers site it is nearly always descirbed as DAK when it was not uncommon to find these items in most other theatres. in north africa photos they also use the standard kit as you have seen. One thing i have noticed from north africa photos though is that you often see the aluminium standard canteen with felt cover and a tan fabric strap. Maybe the leather parts were best suited to the extreme hot weather.

Quote by joachimpeiper View Post
    most of these canteens that you will come across will be dated from 1941 onwards, i have never seen one before this date
    It's because Heinrich Ritter's company probably introduced this type in 1941, being the only one producing these. I have 41, 42 and 43 dated examples in my collection, there are also 45 and a lot of post war cocos around, but not with date 44. At least I have never seen one and I've never heard that anybody has. It seems that Ritter's factories suffered from heavy allied bombings or something like that this year.

Very impressive video in general, but it hard to tell for certain if it is one. If they were issued to DAK, it was probably in very small numbers. Since they been produced since 1941, i guess some people expect to be common issue or something. Not surprised if it was on other fronts. total Agreed about tropics.

If i recall correctly color tan was issued to troops more frequently after 43 on all fronts. The reason lot dealers claim tan DAK is that get more bucks for their item.

Got to say DAK tan pretty cool tho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast