Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

german field glasses

Article about: found these binoculars when clearing out fathers belonging they are carl zeiss jenna 7 x 50 complete with carrycase in quite good condition just wondered how much they would be worth:

jean
    ?

Default german field glasses

found these binoculars when clearing out fathers belonging they are carl zeiss jenna 7 x 50 complete with carrycase in quite good condition just wondered how much they would be worth:

2. # ADS

Default Re: german field glasses

Hi Jean, welcome to the forum!

Your pics are not showing up.

Cheers, Ade.

jean
    ?

sorry Adrian heres the photos!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture german field glasses   german field glasses  

german field glasses  

Hi Jean, they are German Navy property marked. Note the eagle and swastika over te letter "M". They are for a Coastal Flak (Anti-aircraft) unit.

I cannot help on value, but these will be a desirable set.

I will drop a PM to a forum member who collects binos and I know that James will be able to help.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Jean , As Ade says naval binoculars - "gas mask" type - they will be a great set to use high defination due to the large sized oculars lens.

This is quite a rare set and one worth hanging on it - the full kriegsmarine markings make them very desirable but the flak information on the right side - a rare set.

Some talc on the rubber might soften them if they are not too hard.
    if you can post up the serial number of the set and some photos of the front of it I should be able to date it from Hans Seeger's book.

The case looks good for them all in all a very nice item to have.

What is the nature of the reticule / sight in the right side ?

I have a flak set of the same make but just blc marked - this is a really sought after set.

?

I would say a good binoculars, I'am not an expert in that area, but I would say- dealers would sell them around 450-650 eur
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

jean
    ?

hello right here is the serial number 2074211 flak number 10315
    also would anyone know any dealers who i could talk to about these.

?

Jean if I may give you an honest opinion , dealers will tell you anything - probably made up and most will know nothing about these , not a thing.
    You will find few who sell binoculars on a regular basis, if Atlantic Pirat posts here he will endorse what I have had said about the set.

I don't mean to be hard on dealers but having bought one or two sets from them early on - I found them in generalto be misinformed and at times quite misleading in how they will describe a set and what they will charge price wise.

The only reasonable dealer I have found in things optical is Mark Bentley who runs Tiger Collectibles.

The set are German Navy issue , developed from the 7x50 "Smooth" occular set, the rubber eye cups are found in two colours , red and black.

Lens will be coated , blue colouration - this should only be cleaned by a professional , the interior aspect of the lens are easily damaged.
    (Coatings).
    The style of eagle you see is the Kriegsmarine acceptance stamp which is seen on Zeiss sets - it dates from 1941.( approx).
    The type of benutzer ( rainguard seen on this set - probably a leatehr type - sets like my example ( blc marked - production code for Zeiss) usually had a bakalite type rainguard.
    Yours would have had its rainguard retained by a three spring attachment which would have been enaced in a thin leather sheath.
    finding them intact is very rare , most have been broken or damged over the years.
    The bakalite type would be retained by a rubber cord.

Batch number and date.
    One opf a batch producted in March 1940 - marked M/IV the batch included examples made for both flak ( Kuste) , Art. use and for use by searchlight units ( naval).

At present Has Seeger is aware of nine examples in existance from this batch.
    Attached Dr. Seegers book , [perhaps the authority on Miitary Binoculars .
    Hans has for some years been colating information on Zeiss sets - the "surviving sets" figures being based on what collectors send to him.