Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

German GAs Mask Can - Different Color

Article about: Just wondering if you could shed some light on this Gas Mask can I just got. It is marked ’44 on the latch. It is spray painted a bluish grey over the original green. Any idea why that would

Default German GAs Mask Can - Different Color

Just wondering if you could shed some light on this Gas Mask can I just got. It is marked ’44 on the latch.

It is spray painted a bluish grey over the original green. Any idea why that would have been done? Luftwaffe? Inside was a Czech Gas Mask dated 1939. It has a 1951 dated replacement canister.
    Attached Images Attached Images German GAs Mask Can - Different Color  German GAs Mask Can - Different Color  German GAs Mask Can - Different Color  German GAs Mask Can - Different Color  German GAs Mask Can - Different Color 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German GAs Mask Can - Different Color
    P
    Many

Default Re: German GAs Mask Can - Different Color

Hi George,

I got this one, and mine is for sure Luftschutz.

I know, that's not much of a help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German GAs Mask Can - Different Color   German GAs Mask Can - Different Color  

Thank you! I had another opinion that it was a pot war paint job but I like your opinion better.

Is your's green on the inside?

The same color is also on the inside.

Don't forget that other opinion.

Have a look here MP44.nl - German Uniforms and Equipment - Gasmaske

Don't know if he is a member here, but you could send him an e-mail, if our more experienced members will say nothing.

Fred Green
    ?

Greetings All,

After the war the Czechs used alot of German materials and equipment. It could have been reissued by them and repainted.

Fred

Hi George

The stamping frn 44 refers to the maker Rudolph Lang, Brandenberg and the year 1944

The colour, I would suspect has been done post war, as has the mismatch of the gas mask

The canister is certainly not Luftschultz........................... its military

Hope this helps

Fred Green
    ?

Greetings All,

The can is an issue 1944 manufactured can. The mask seems very strange. Could we get some better pictures of it. The filter and the snout on the front definately don't look german military. I was thinking that it might have been an allies mask in a german can.

Fred

Thanks for the note Fred. The gas mask is definately Czech manuafacture. It is interesting that the tag sewed onto the straps says No 1 Vaclav St. which is an adress in Prauge. Any idea where that might be?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German GAs Mask Can - Different Color  

The mask is a Czech Fatta F.M.-1a which was made in the late 1930's, they dont turn up that often on the collectors market, the cannister has probably been re-issued like Fred said.