Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

German gas mask colors

Article about: I recently Bought a German gas mask online. I noticed in the past some gas masks are different colors. This may be a stupid question but do the colors have a meaning or are they just for sho

Default German gas mask colors

I recently Bought a German gas mask online. I noticed in the past some gas masks are different colors. This may be a stupid question but do the colors have a meaning or are they just for show. Mine is the blue one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German gas mask colors   German gas mask colors  

German gas mask colors  
    Attached Images Attached Images German gas mask colors  German gas mask colors 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German gas mask colors
    P
    Many

Not a stupid question at all....

I have explained the meaning of the blue colour on my site :

MP44.nl - German Uniforms and Equipment - Gasmaske

and here the text

171. Magnetical Gasmasks

For raw material resons, in the future the bulk of gasmasks will be produced in magnetic form (Eye pieces and other metal parts will be made out of iron in stead of until now from non-ferrous metals).

Identification of the magnetical gasmask:

a. Fitting, protective screen, clamp to mount the connector and eye pieces will be painted in a dark blue colour

b. Retaining rings, ground rings, threaded ring for the exhaust valve, rivet eyelets, buckles and hooks are galvanized and unpainted.

Facilities

The magnetic gas mask is provided for units not equipped with directional circuits and optical instruments with magnetic needle (except the marching compass).

Units with magnetic needle instruments retain the previously non-magnetic gas mask.

The operators of these instruments also receive the non-magnetic filter. This filter is to remain with the unit in case of dropping out of the operator and is to be given to the replacement operator. The drop-out is to be given the normal filter from the replacement instead

Moment of delivery

The moment of delivery with the magnetic gasmasks and the exchange of current gasmasks for the units in question will be announced seperately.

Army High Command, July 5th 1943

Hope this helps

Tom
    MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website

Thanks for the information Tom!

Quote by TheKrustyKiller View Post
    I think it just shows the rank btw nice gas mask

Peace!
    That makes no sense.
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

What about the colours of the GM38? Some of them are black, some green and i saw an almost yellow one?

Initially the GM38 was made out of green rubber, but the colour of the rubber changed into black during 41/42

I've never seen a yellow one, but I have seen some that were displayed in the sun for a long long time, and they turned yellow(ish) under influence of the sun.......

Tom

Quote by MP44tom View Post
    I've never seen a yellow one, but I have seen some that were displayed in the sun for a long long time, and they turned yellow(ish) under influence of the sun.......

[/url]
    A friend of mine had the tan one, he sold it so no pics. It had a tan(!) filter too but a standard cannister, maybe DAK but in a normal cannister?
    I know that there were ordinance tan cannisters; what about the masks? Ill try to find the person he sold it to.

I also have a tan (painted) GM30 (these also exist as GM38) but it is not sure if these were painted tan post war or during war time....
    There are different theories about these : supposedly these were german gasmasks that have been delivered post war to Egypt, or the Dutch or Belgium Civil defense used these during the 60's....

btw, not everything tan is related to DAK : just simply later war Südfront. From 43 the einheitsfarbe was tan !!

anyway here a picture of my tan one....

Tom

This one was whole painted tan, not just the lense holders and the metal things. I would like to get myself one, they look really nice.

As can be seen from mine here, the masks are different as well as the kannisters!

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German gas mask colors   German gas mask colors  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "