Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German Gasmask ID, please.

Article about: Hello all! I work at an antique mall in North Carolina, where we get a huge variety of stuff in, including this gasmask. It is in *really* nice condition. I searched around a bit, but did no

?

Default German Gasmask ID, please.

Hello all! I work at an antique mall in North Carolina, where we get a huge variety of stuff in, including this gasmask. It is in *really* nice condition. I searched around a bit, but did not find the same thing already posted. Any help with ID, history, approximate pricing, etc., would be awesome.

The bottom is stamped with a hexagonal shape, and 1937.
    Inside where the extra filter (???) goes has a stamped 34.
    The actual filter, also stamped 1937, has a really nicely intact label. Don't know what it says, but it is rather well preserved.
    Tube has some minor rust spots, and the canvas strap is in good condition.
    The mask itself has some flaking of the rubber lining, but the elastic is still stretchy, and in whole, really nice.

Thank you for your help!
    IndyGerman Gasmask ID, please.German Gasmask ID, please.German Gasmask ID, please.German Gasmask ID, please.German Gasmask ID, please.German Gasmask ID, please.German Gasmask ID, please.German Gasmask ID, please.German Gasmask ID, please.German Gasmask ID, please.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Gasmask ID, please.
    P
    Many

This is an original Third Reich era Civilian gas mask. Note the label marking "zivilien Luftschutz" on the filter. NH

Hello,
    The Gasmask itself (minus the filter) and the canister are prewar military items that were reissued to the Luftschutz during the war
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Ah-ha! Makes sense. How common were these, back in the day? Was everyone issued one, or was distribution given preferential treatment?
    Thanks,
    Indy

Hello,
    They were common at the time, they're still common nowadays....
    Only the members of the civiilan Luftschutz were issued such an example
    The type of Gasmask used by civilian (only) are different in design and features
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :

?

Also, was the filter new, compared to the re-issued mask and canister? Does this set appear to be original, or cobbled together after the war?

Hello,
    I see nothing telling me that this set is not original.
    Original Reichswehr Gasmask and canister with added Luftschutz filter when the set was withdrawn from military service and given to this organisation...nothing wrong here
    Thanks

In Memoriam :

?

Thanks for your replies! From what I have seen, most of the gasmasks I have seen that are similar are not as nice. Am I wrong? Is this a common example of the quality you'd expect to find for these civilian models? Or, fingers crossed, is this a step above what you would normally come across?
    Indy

It appears to be a well marked and pretty well preserved example as noted. It has the canister, mask, filter, eye shields and strap all intact. Many are missing parts or badly deteriorated. I would rate this one on the higher end of condition. NH