Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German generator

Article about: Hey guys, Two weeks ago I swapped a sack of walnuts and some apples (it's an annual "meet and swap" event in the village) for an old Petrol generator. I recognised from the paint (

Default German generator

Hey guys,
    Two weeks ago I swapped a sack of walnuts and some apples (it's an annual "meet and swap" event in the village) for an old Petrol generator. I recognised from the paint (luftblau over ordinance-tan...then copious ammounts of post-war Czechoslovak green) that it was a WWII german issue piece. It's powered by a DKW/Auto Union one cylinder engine, and the dates stamped on just about everything is 1942. It has an FL code (so it IS Luftwaffe issue)........but I can't find any information on this type of Generator. The small "cube" generators that are to be seen everywhere seem to be the little cousin of this one.......this is a four-man lift easily!
    The Volt-meter I KNOW is a post-war add-on............but everything else is either stamped with the dkw-Auto Union (Audi now) circles, "'42" or usually both. All the sheet-metal work has red-oxide primer, a thick base-coat of ordinance-tan....then yukky CZ green over it. I know there are one or two pieces of body-work missing............but otherwise it seems complete. The engine has GREAT compression (even the piston and rings are stamped 1942!)....it all seems to be totally original and unrestored. I'd like to get a picture or two for me to see what's missing and what the air-filter type it's supposed to have.
    I'm in the process of stripping it down and rebuilding it........and if anyone has ANY information on it..or knows where I can get some, or a picture of one in use as I'd like to see what is or isn't missing[ATTACH][ATTACH]German generator[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]....I'd be most grateful.
    [/IMG]
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German generator   German generator  

German generator   German generator  

Last edited by davies435; 11-02-2011 at 11:41 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German generator
    P
    Many

Default The strip-down and rebuild has started..let the healing begin!

German generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorsome new pictures of the strip-down in rebuild in progress
    German generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generator
    Last edited by davies435; 11-05-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Default Re: The strip-down and rebuild has started..let the healing begin!

German generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generatorGerman generator

Progress today..starting the rebuild process (while I can still remember where everything goes!
    This whole thing has amazed me. There are only three gaskets in the whole assembly. The rest of the construction relies on mirror-finish machined surfaces and fine tolerances to give air-tight/water-tight seals. SO fine that I've only been able to smear the mating surfaces with light oil..........and more viscous oil and the joints won't got back together. Time and time again I'm finding that the cast-aluminium components are actually made up of three or four castings, but the mating of them all is SO fine........it's seamless and looks like one piece. I think we all know where such fine tolerances in their engineering got them........but you HAVE to admire the skill and quality involved!

Hi
    You are doing a fine job on such a wonderful small motor I wish I could get my hands on one I love items like this. Thanks for showing and keep us up to date with your progress.

Martin

Default Re: German generator

Nice ! Hope you get her up and running. Logo is for
    'Auto Union' as you have said.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Good job, Davies435!

Regards

Martin,Steve, ?,

Thanks..........for a few days there I thought I was "talking" to myself! This is the first (of many) generator's I've restored, everything before has either been guns, VW's or motorbikes, BUT............I LOVE working on these things. You can fit them on a bench and work sitting down, take parts for blasting in a rucksack - a LOT easier (and cheaper) to work on and get parts for.
    She WILL run again!
    All I really have to do now is top-coat the "to be painted" parts (waiting for the right paint right now) and start re-assembling. I've just received the correct fuel tank for it (the previous one was post war) and the correct air-filter....once it's all in one piece I'll see what the score is then. I HAVEN't serviced the carburettor as when I took it apart everything LOOKED OK - but with carbs...........you'll never knoiw until you fire them up!
    I'm trying to AVOID rushing the last stages as I'm starting to get more and more excited as it takes shape...might leave it stand for a week or so.
    (yeah....right.......we'll see!!!)
    I STILL need somebody to find me a picture of one in service.............I don't know what accessories are missing and anything else that might be astray. There is a turn-latch on the "bodywork" for some sort of flap or extra cover.......but I have NO IDEA what it's supposed to look like............guys please.......have a look through any books you might have on Luftwaffe equipment or comms equipment,

Mike

Another one for you Mike.
    generators

Martin

?

Very nice piece of equipment you got there, and a great job you are doing. Is it a 50 or 125 ccm engine?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast