Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Mess Kit Question.

Article about: Not to hijack your thread but here is a mid to late war unmarked one. timothy

Default German Mess Kit Question.

Hello, I am purchasing this mess kit for my reenacting impression and was wondering if you guys could tell me if this is a original late war mess tin or a postwar Soviet kit. I've heard they were identical so I wanted to get some more opinions. It's the olive green mess kit.German Mess Kit Question.German Mess Kit Question.German Mess Kit Question.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Mess Kit Question.
    P
    Many

You have a problem : here we are collecting TR items and not 4 ° Reich.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

I'm not sure what point Lebus is making here, 4th Reich means fantasy items that never existed in the TR, which does not apply to mess tins which will be genuine military issue, even if postwar.

I am not an expert but do have several original wartime messtins and I don't like the look of this one, the paint does not look wartime and most of the wartime ones I have seen have been clearly marked and dated. They are not very expensive so I would keep looking for a war dated one.

There are re-enactors who are members of the forum and the use of post war but nearly identical items seems a sensible way to dress the part without risking original period items. I am sure Ade would have something to say on this matter if he notices this thread.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Yeah, I'm not sure of what "Lebus12" is blabbing about. But I've read of some late war ones being unmarked or very weakly stamped. And I'm gonna use it for reenacting so, if it is postwar I won't feel bad about dinging it up. But I've seen other original late war German mess tins exactly like this.

I'd just like to know for a fact whether it's German and if so, is the paint original or new.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    I'm not sure what point Lebus is making here, 4th Reich means fantasy items that never existed in the TR, which does not apply to mess tins which will be genuine military issue, even if postwar.

I am not an expert but do have several original wartime messtins and I don't like the look of this one, the paint does not look wartime and most of the wartime ones I have seen have been clearly marked and dated. They are not very expensive so I would keep looking for a war dated one.

Quote by Anon View Post
    There are re-enactors who are members of the forum and the use of post war but nearly identical items seems a sensible way to dress the part without risking original period items. I am sure Ade would have something to say on this matter if he notices this thread.

I'm currently using a original named all matching ccj41 mess kit in my impression. And, would like to retire it from field use.

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    You have a problem : here we are collecting TR items and not 4 ° Reich.
    what do you mean "4th Reich" ? What does that have to do with my inquiry about this mess tin?

CBH
    ?

I've used a West German mess kit camping , the paint does not like open fire ! There used to be lots of West German kits on the market years ago , might be worth a look , if it is Soviet it might be collectable in it's own right . Good luck .
    Cheers Chris

Hello,
    According to the poor photos provided, this messkit is not russian, but rather late war german. IMO a MN production...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

That's what I thought too. It's identical to every MN produced mess kit i've seen. Now, i'm wondering if it was repainted with new paint or is it original as well. If it's new I plan on painting my serial number on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast