MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

German WW2 Gas Mask purchase, model and details?

Article about: Hi guys, I picked up a German Gas Mask today (without the canister). Cost me £25 GBP. As you can see by the photos there's some wear to it but not too bad I think. You can still see the eagl

Default German WW2 Gas Mask purchase, model and details?

Hi guys,

I picked up a German Gas Mask today (without the canister). Cost me £25 GBP. As you can see by the photos there's some wear to it but not too bad I think. You can still see the eagle stamp on the respirator, plus the year etc. However as I'm no expert on gas masks I'm wondering if anyone can help with the other details ('Fe' markings?) things like that. Also any tips on what may help preserve it, as I'm sure the rubber may continue cracking if it's in the wrong environment etc.

Thanks in advance.

M.

German WW2 Gas Mask purchase, model and details?German WW2 Gas Mask purchase, model and details?German WW2 Gas Mask purchase, model and details?German WW2 Gas Mask purchase, model and details?German WW2 Gas Mask purchase, model and details?German WW2 Gas Mask purchase, model and details?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German WW2 Gas Mask purchase, model and details?
    P
    Many

It's ok! More searching, and I've just come across this (rather comprehensive) site:

MP44.nl - German Uniforms and Equipment - Gasmaske

So, turns out it's an M38, size 2, with FE41 filter.

Still not sure what the 333 means though.

A nice find !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi

In fact it looks like a M30 mask size 2 to me..... although it looks pretty smooth... so it also could be a post war BW mask .... could you check the dat on the snout please ?

There should also be a maker mark on the other side of the 2 (inside the mask)

Cheers

Tom
    MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website

Quote by MP44tom View Post
    Hi

In fact it looks like a M30 mask size 2 to me..... although it looks pretty smooth... so it also could be a post war BW mask .... could you check the dat on the snout please ?

There should also be a maker mark on the other side of the 2 (inside the mask)

Cheers

Tom
    Hi Tom,

Just checked inside the mask and it's 'Drager' (with a triangle).

There's no markings on the snout at all, plus the inside mesh is plastic (not metal). So I'm guessing the filter is maybe original WW2 while the mask is Post WW2 as you say?

I've included a photo in case it's of any use.

German WW2 Gas Mask purchase, model and details?

Really great website you've got there. I'll definitely be using it again in the future!

M.

Hi

Thanks for the compliment.....

Indeed, I'm sorry to say but the mask is a post war gasmask.... if you inspect the inside of the mask further you can probably discover other markings

Cheers
    Tom

That's OK Tom. At least the filter is genuine and £25 means I didn't pay lots anyway.

It'll mean I've got a spare filter for when I pick up another mask.

All the Best,

M.