Become our sponsor and display your banner here

German WWII AFRIKA KORPS BINOCULARS

Article about: Check out these awesome binoculars !! please correct me if my title description is wrong. thanks to Pierre N, here... I now know they are cag : Swarovski,Tyrol, Austria 6x30 power with the r

Default German WWII AFRIKA KORPS BINOCULARS

Check out these awesome binoculars !! please correct me if my title description is wrong.

thanks to Pierre N, here... I now know they are cag : Swarovski,Tyrol, Austria 6x30 power with the range finder on the right lens
    Interesting that Swarovski still makes top end sniper scopes today...

Would there not have been another rubber cover that goes on the bottom leather retainer?

Check out the case !!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	1278 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	217217

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	853 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	217218

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg 
Views:	2567 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	217219

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg 
Views:	1191 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	217220

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg 
Views:	4189 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	217221

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: German WWII AFRIKA KORPS BINOCULARS

Hello,
    These are 6x30 binos in tremendous condition, congrats.....but neither DAK nor tropical, just late war ordnance tan painted. When they were produced, the DAK was already dead and buried in the sands of Tunisia. The buttonhole on the leather part at the bottom is meant for the Feldbluse buttons, binos could be secured this way.
    The leather carrier doesn't belong to these binos, IMO a civilian type. You need a bakelite carrier. The carrying strap of the carrier is a wartime carrying strap for gasmask canister.
    Thanks
    PREUSSENS GLORIA

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    These are 6x30 binos in tremendous condition, congrats.....but neither DAK nor tropical, just late war ordnance tan painted. When they were produced, the DAK was already dead and buried in the sands of Tunisia. The buttonhole on the leather part at the bottom is meant for the Feldbluse buttons, binos could be secured this way.
    The leather carrier doesn't belong to these binos, IMO a civilian type. You need a bakelite carrier. The carrying strap of the carrier is a wartime carrying strap for gasmask canister.
    Thanks

thanks,

So just because they are tan does not automatically mean DAK. which I am not surprised.

so these would be a later production, which would have had a bakelite case?

would not a german made binoc case had some kind of stamps. thats one thing I wondered about that case.........it had zero marks on it,which I found rather odd for a piece of german equipment. the guys at work got a kick out of the binocs!

Hello,
    Before 1943, 6x30 binoculars were factory painted in black. From 1943, a lot of military equipments and weapons were factory painted in tan. Some binoculars used by the DAK troops sometimes received a coat of tan paint over the factory black finish.

Usually bakelite carrier can have a three letter code marking or simply the logo from bakelite makers. You can also sometimes find markings on one of the belt loops. You can find carriers in black, red or brown bakelite.

in this photo previously posted on the WRF, you can see cag binos and a red bakelite carrier.
    Thanks

Name:	WAF3_final.jpg 
Views:	2212 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	218476
    PREUSSENS GLORIA

In Memoriam :

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    Before 1943, 6x30 binoculars were factory painted in black. From 1943, a lot of military equipments and weapons were factory painted in tan. Some binoculars used by the DAK troops sometimes received a coat of tan paint over the factory black finish.

Usually bakelite carrier can have a three letter code marking or simply the logo from bakelite makers. You can also sometimes find markings on one of the belt loops. You can find carriers in black, red or brown bakelite.

in this photo previously posted on the WRF, you can see cag binos and a red bakelite carrier.
    Thanks

Name:	WAF3_final.jpg 
Views:	2212 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	218476

greetings,

Thats an awesome spread of equipment there,very cool pic!!

thanks for the info on German binocs.

Whats up with the case I have? Is it german civilian, because it seems to have similar design characteristics of the bakelite you have pictured?

On a side note is that a real K98 frog on the bayonet?

Mike

Hello Mike,
    Yes, your carrier looks like a civilian example. Before the bakelite carrier, the german army used a leather carrier which was close in design to yours, but there are slight differences. the main differences being, the closure strap is different, as the metal parts on each side to maintain the carrying strap. Yours is definitly civilian or military of a type that i don't know (maybe not german who knows ?)

I'll try to post a photo of my leather carrier in this thead, for you to see how it looks.

Yes again, the frog is real, it is a genuine tropical/late war frog made of web...

all items shown on this photo are genuine WWII items.

Thanks
    PREUSSENS GLORIA

In Memoriam :