Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Got my M38 can set today, photos, questions

Article about: Hi all, I posted this item before when I first bought it, and I finally got my m38 gas set today from latvia, so I wanted to take my own pics for your review, seller claims it was an attic/b

Default Got my M38 can set today, photos, questions

Hi all, I posted this item before when I first bought it, and I finally got my m38 gas set today from latvia, so I wanted to take my own pics for your review, seller claims it was an attic/barn find, my first impression was wow this is alot heavier then I thought, and its a beast to pry open, my questions are about the different dates on the mask, was it common for the lenses and lense holders to have different dates then the mask? 37 for the lense, 42 for the lense holder, 43 on the mask. maybe an expert can help. The numbers 2204 are also stamped inside the mask, I cant find any markings on the outside of the can, just a small trace of a white paint number under the rust near the top, I did find a stamped date of 1939 on the top of the extra lense holder above the owners last name, the inside seems to be copper or brass lined? it has a golden look to it, I already researched the name and feldpost number under the lid, no luck on the name but somebody here helped me with the number. The mask straps appear to have been chewed on by a mouse, not sure how it got inside but that would make sence if stored in an old attic or barn. hope the pics are ok and please leave any comments, thoughts on how it looks and as always, the help is greatly appreciated since im very new to the hobby.
    Got my M38 can set today, photos, questionsGot my M38 can set today, photos, questionsGot my M38 can set today, photos, questionsGot my M38 can set today, photos, questionsGot my M38 can set today, photos, questionsGot my M38 can set today, photos, questionsGot my M38 can set today, photos, questionsGot my M38 can set today, photos, questionsGot my M38 can set today, photos, questionsGot my M38 can set today, photos, questionsGot my M38 can set today, photos, questionsGot my M38 can set today, photos, questionsGot my M38 can set today, photos, questionsGot my M38 can set today, photos, questionsGot my M38 can set today, photos, questions
    Last edited by maximus71; 08-07-2012 at 05:16 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Got my M38 can set today, photos, questions
    P
    Many

Default Re: Got my M38 can set today, photos, questions

Feldpost number is for -
    2.1.1940-11.3.1943 1. Kompanie Infanterie-Divisions-Nachrichten-Abteilung 23.

Thanks danmark, you helped me before, i was hoping someone would give some help or opinion on all the dates and if its normal or pieced together...but i guess a gas can isnt as interesting as an ss lid! Lol.

It IS a bit weathered and looks like it was stored in a shed and the mask was outside of the can ( or as you say came from separate places and put together )
    Usually if a soldier went to the trouble Gefreiter Mensel did, there would be a similar painted number on the mask so you didn't get someone else's cooties .....yuk

I don't know everything but help where I can!
    Cheers, Dan

Hahahaha I see your point, the gas mask filter has the same exact rust appearence and age as the can itself, so it seems they were together for the same amount of time, Im thinking the lid may have been ajar and a mouse lived inside it over the years, I assume the parts of the mask were assembled at different times and places then fully assembled at one location, I have no idea if the can and mask are suppose to have matching dates. I could not make out the first part of the name so you helped me tremendously with that, gefreiter, I discovered that it means private. thank you

Edit- I just did more reseach and during ww2 gefreiter was considered a lance corporal.

can anyone else help with this one?