Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed with german canteen

Article about: hello, im hoping to get some help from fellow collectors on one of my canteens, it is different from most i have seen as the buttons on the felt cover are different and the screw cap is pain

Default Help needed with german canteen

Help needed with german canteenHelp needed with german canteenHelp needed with german canteenHelp needed with german canteenHelp needed with german canteenhello, im hoping to get some help from fellow collectors on one of my canteens, it is different from most i have seen as the buttons on the felt cover are different and the screw cap is painted black and has a more unusual maker marking which is ''hgf 11 39'' this marking is repeated on the bottle neck also. And it also has the marking ''hgf 10 39'' on the inside of the felt cover. The metal clip is '39 dated also, my first thoughts were perhaps a political canteen or maybe even a version for the paratrooper, any thoughts anyone? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help needed with german canteen
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help needed with german canteen

Looks like a HJ canteen to me.

It's typical paramilitary/political canteen by the design, I've never met markings like these nor the painted cap, though. On the other hand I've got one German canteen (just bottle) which is also painted black, found on battlefield.

hi thanks for the replies, very helpful, i have no doubt that this canteen is original but it is difficult to say precisely who it was produced for. i have owned another canteen in the past which was also painted black (cap only) and was marked FSS 39, everyone i come across always seems to be '39 dated. i have a late war steel canteen not in very good condition but this is black, and that is the only canteen i have seen which is completely black. i liked the photo of you canteen collection you posted on my other thread gnadenlose it has made me want to go on the hunt for a few more canteens like the late war versions you have in your collection with the 3 stud covers made from fabric not felt. i definately need to get my hands on one of those next for my collection, were they hard to find?

I know what you feel looking at all these canteens The late war canteens with fabric (they call it cabardine) are not that rare at all, you just have to keep looking.

If you happen to member of WAF, you could ask about your strange canteen there.

yep i definately need to get my hands on some late war canteens then, just to finish off the collection a bit more. what is WAF? not heard of that before.