Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HJ Canteen

Article about: Hello, Picked up a nice clean example of a HJ Canteen today. RZM marked on cap top and bottle throat M6/2/40 . Leather is sound and no mothing on wool cover with only minor oxidization on be

?

Default HJ Canteen

Hello,

Picked up a nice clean example of a HJ Canteen today. RZM marked on cap top and bottle throat M6/2/40 . Leather is sound and no mothing on wool cover with only minor oxidization on belt clip and some storage rusting on buttons. Aluminum bottle is minty & cap rubber is intact and not cracked.

Hope you enjoy.

Rossi

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement HJ Canteen
    P
    Many

Nice find, leather still looks supple and well marked. All good.

?

Very nice example for sure .

Here is a link to my similar HJ canteen:

RZM Marked Canteen - HJ ?

Never knew of such an item !! Personally, I think they should have marked them more. Not enough proof marks on it (LOL)

Glad for you my friend !!
    D.

?

Kirk - I looked at the RZM Codes list I use and M6 = Aluminum Products is referenced on the header but no detailed list was there, 1st time I noticed this. Checked a few other sources online and the same thing. You have a source with M6 maker detail? I think the last number is the year produced and the maker code is the middle number.

M6/35/39 (my canteen)
    M6/2/40 (your canteen)

Cheers -
    Jeff

?

Quote by weller View Post
    Kirk - I looked at the RZM Codes list I use and M6 = Aluminum Products is referenced on the header but no detailed list was there, 1st time I noticed this. Checked a few other sources online and the same thing. You have a source with M6 maker detail? I think the last number is the year produced and the maker code is the middle number.

M6/35/39 (my canteen)
    M6/2/40 (your canteen)

Cheers -
    Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

Based on what you explain & from my limited knowledge yes the M6 is for Aluminum Products. I too believe the 2 is for the maker the the 40 or 39 is the year of manufacturing. Wim Saris or JPhilip would likely know more or others here who are more versed in the manufacturing of these canteens. I am unsure of who the maker of our canteens are? It looks as if both our wool covers are also ink marked RZM as well. I will reach out to Wim as well to see if he will opine and comment.

Rossi

?

Quote by Rossi View Post
    Hi Jeff,

Based on what you explain & from my limited knowledge yes the M6 is for Aluminum Products. I too believe the 2 is for the maker the the 40 or 39 is the year of manufacturing. Wim Saris or JPhilip would likely know more or others here who are more versed in the manufacturing of these canteens. I am unsure of who the maker of our canteens are? It looks as if both our wool covers are also ink marked RZM as well. I will reach out to Wim as well to see if he will opine and comment.

Rossi
    Great. Yes, we had a similar issue with the RZM 'L' leather codes on belts, and Mr. Saris was able to fill in the blanks.

?

Quote by weller View Post
    Great. Yes, we had a similar issue with the RZM 'L' leather codes on belts, and Mr. Saris was able to fill in the blanks.
    On line below this canteen is shown for sale. Same markings as mine exactly. Gray Belt Clip with Ritter Patent stamped. Stitching in leather cover harness is almost indentical as well. It is being labeled as early SS but not marked SS on throat or on the cap. I don’t believe the one they show is SS as I have seen them with brown wool cover but always throat and cap marked with runes. I know these style canteens were used by many political organizations, paramilitary, HJ / DJ & SA.

Their Info & Pics:

EARLY GERMAN SS-VT CANTEEN, MARKED "RZM M6/2/40".

Nice early (1940) German "SS-VT" canteen, worn condition, all the parts are marked "M6/2/40 RZM", hard to find.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HJ Canteen   HJ Canteen  

HJ Canteen  
    Last edited by Rossi; 11-15-2017 at 05:33 AM.

?

Here are images of my Early SS Allgemeine Canteen from 1935 which is very early with throat and cap stamped with SS Runes and RZM 46/35. Maker being 46 and 35 being year 1935. I am thinking my canteen I pictured is a HJ Canteen since it does not have the SS runes stamped into it. I am hoping Wim Saris and others with more RZM knowledge can add sage and wisdom to the chili here. I have 5 canteens but RZM Markings is not my sweet spot. I seem to recall however that possibly SS carried the brown wool cover as well? We shall see what Wim can offer and others here.

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

HJ Canteen

?

Quote by Rossi View Post
    On line below this canteen is shown for sale. Same markings as mine exactly. Gray Belt Clip with Ritter Patent stamped. It is being labeled as early SS but not marked SS on throat or on the cap. I know these style canteens were used by many political organizations, paramilitary, HJ / DJ & SA...I am not thinking mine is early SS but the clip is gray and looks like the one this entity is showing.

EARLY GERMAN SS-VT CANTEEN, MARKED "RZM M6/2/40".

Nice early (1940) German "SS-VT" canteen, worn condition, all the parts are marked "M6/2/40 RZM", hard to find.
    Nice canteen for sure and the same maker as your HJ. I thought the grey canteens were HJ but certainly could have been used by other groups. I think there is a discussion of this here and I'll try and find it. I have two brown covered canteens and both are dated 1934 and use the early SA 'FA' prefix, both being before the RZM codes that were to follow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast