Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

How do you resole boots made with wooden pegs?

Article about: I see a lot of German jackboots on ebay.de which are claimed to be WW2, but they have fairly new soles. Is there an established method for resoling boots which were made with wooden pegs? I'

Default How do you resole boots made with wooden pegs?

I see a lot of German jackboots on ebay.de which are claimed to be WW2, but they have fairly new soles. Is there an established method for resoling boots which were made with wooden pegs? I'm thinking of buying a very shonky pair. As you can see the soles are on the way out...what are my options for extending their life? I will only buy them if they're cheap and I'm not concerned with keeping the authentic look. Maybe I could just buy the do-it-yourself stick-on soles.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How do you resole boots made with wooden pegs?
    P
    Many

?

There are still businesses out there that resole shoes, though they're getting harder and harder to find, especially ones that don't just slather on the shoe glue and put on rubber replacement soles. But they can be found

Quote by Undinist View Post
    Is there an established method for resoling boots which were made with wooden pegs?
    Yes it is. My father was a shoe maker and I have hammered in many wooden pegs. You need to fill the holes left over from the last sole somehow.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by Brig View Post
    There are still businesses out there that resole shoes, though they're getting harder and harder to find, especially ones that don't just slather on the shoe glue and put on rubber replacement soles. But they can be found
    Here in the UK, businesses which resole Goodyear welted shoes are in every town. But if a shoe has no welt I doubt they'd want to try a proper resole job.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Yes it is. My father was a shoe maker and I have hammered in many wooden pegs. You need to fill the holes left over from the last sole somehow.
    Ralph.

Amazing! I wonder if shoe repairers still offer that service anywhere?

Why bother re-soling them at all? Do you intend to wear them? If the answer is 'no', then why not just clean them up and keep them original?

Cheers,
    Steve

Well, I would wear them. I don't have any kit for display.

So I won the auction - I was the only bidder and got the boots for 6.99 Euros. They are officer's riding boots, so maybe that's why nobody else bid. I obviously have no idea what buyers of WW2 German boots are looking for!

rbminis, do you happen to know when wooden-pegged boots stopped being made for the German military? Were the pegs still used when the Bundeswehr got going in the '50s?

I also have some relatively recent Bundeswehr-issued jackboots. Superb quality, Goodyear welted. Another lucky find, which cost me all of £5!

Quote by Undinist View Post
    rbminis, do you happen to know when wooden-pegged boots stopped being made for the German military? Were the pegs still used when the Bundeswehr got going in the '50s?
    That I don't know, I know we were still using them in the 60's, 70's and 80's.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)