Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

How Many - Variants of Gebirgsjäger Rucksacks were there ?

Article about: End of May bought this Gebirgsjäger Rucksack. When buying, what I take to be a Gebirgsjäger Rucksack I look for three straps on the back holding the top flap down and two side pockets plus R

?

Default How Many - Variants of Gebirgsjäger Rucksacks were there ?

End of May bought this Gebirgsjäger Rucksack. When buying, what I take to be a Gebirgsjäger Rucksack I look for three straps on the back holding the top flap down and two side pockets plus RB stamp or makers stamp. I got to wondering if the Gebirgsjäger used any other types of rucksacks ? Anyone know ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How Many - Variants of Gebirgsjäger Rucksacks were there ?   How Many - Variants of Gebirgsjäger Rucksacks were there ?  

How Many - Variants of Gebirgsjäger Rucksacks were there ?   How Many - Variants of Gebirgsjäger Rucksacks were there ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How Many - Variants of Gebirgsjäger Rucksacks were there ?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: How Many - Variants of Gebirgsjäger Rucksacks were there ?

Visited the Gebirgsjäger museum in Sonthofen a few weeks back. They have a number of Gebirgsjäger rucksacks hanging there. Looking at the pictures I took, they do seem to have a standard style - two side pockets, large oblong back pocket, top flap has three locking straps, on most of the top flaps they have a standard five short strap layout. The 2nd photo has a small Sturmgepäck rucksack they used, 3rd photo has a different model large rucksack.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How Many - Variants of Gebirgsjäger Rucksacks were there ?   How Many - Variants of Gebirgsjäger Rucksacks were there ?  

How Many - Variants of Gebirgsjäger Rucksacks were there ?  

?

Default Re: How Many - Variants of Gebirgsjäger Rucksacks were there ?

Don't have a differing variant of GJ rucksack but will post pics of the one I was talking about in my post. Almost identical to yours but with possibly post-war modified straps. Good thread, most interested in further interest with this. Pics to follow soonish.

?

NZEF2 _ You don't need to further to reply, - pretty vacant, pretty vacant

Hello Alec,
    The small Rucksack in the photo 2 is the Rucksack adopted in 1940 for the non mounted personnel of the Artillerie...Late 1943, a new version was introduced in order to replace the A-frame within Infanterie.
    Both backpacks are similar but not identical. The Artillerie Rucksack has carrying straps and no straps on the frontal part to retain the Zeltbahn, the Infanterie Rucksack has no carrying strap and has straps for the Zeltbahn.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Hi JPhilip,
    Thanks for the post and information. I didn't know the small rucksack was in fact for " non-mounted artillery personnel " tantalizingly the wall label has it so (what I can read) - Kleines Rucksack (Sturmgepack), really it could do with a more detailed label. I hope to be visiting the museum over the Christmas / New year period if I get a chance, I'll mention it to them. Would you happen to know anything about small rucksack in the third picture - its use ?