MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Identification of small item from French battlefield?

Article about: Hi everyone, first time poster. I found this small item in a French battlefield and have no idea what it could be. Can someone help identify? It is about 1 inch across, and in the center the

?

Default Identification of small item from French battlefield?

Hi everyone, first time poster. I found this small item in a French battlefield and have no idea what it could be. Can someone help identify?

It is about 1 inch across, and in the center there is a transparent piece, probably glass. On the reverse it says "AB 39", and as you can see it has a thread around it. Thanks in advance!

Identification of small item from French battlefield?Identification of small item from French battlefield?Identification of small item from French battlefield?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identification of small item from French battlefield?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Identification of small item from French battlefield?

Diaphragm from a gas mask?

Welcome by the way, did you recover it yourself?

Could it be the air vent from a tropical helmet? NH

?

I tend to agree that it does look like an air vent ,ijust checked on my British 1941 but theres nothing visible that matches ????

?

Thanks for the replies so far. Yes, I recovered this from France, where I found some other German items as well. As far as the one above, did either Diaphragms or air vents have a glass/ plastic (or whatever they used back then) in the center? Here's another view, it's clearer around the 7 o clock area. No idea what this is...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identification of small item from French battlefield?  

?

Btw here's a few of the other pieces I found.....MG-34/42 unfired rounds and a cap for a jerry can....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identification of small item from French battlefield?   Identification of small item from French battlefield?  

Lightbulb Re: Identification of small item from French battlefield?

Your item is a diaphragm from a German M30 or 38 gas mask ; it would have originally fitted between the snout and the filter. I have a much later one which I picked up near Moissy Ford at Falaise. They are fairly common to find there, the rest of the mask rots away over time leaving this small ring-shaped item which is non-ferrous.

?

Thanks! Yep, with that last ID, found a pic of a M30 mask, where I think I can actually see this part. Thanks again, that was fun.

I have a couple of other items I'd like to see if I can ID, gotta fish em out of the box first. One is a ring from the end of either a pair of binoculars, or rifle scope, was clearly optics at some point, and has a clear Carl Zeiss marking on it. Will try to take a pic and post next week.

On another subject, have you guys ran into a lot of molten glass out there? I got several globs of them, presumably was glass from either the vehicles themselves or field equipment- or heck, even wine bottles- that melted after the vehicles got hit and burned. Will post that too next weekend.

Thanks again for the ID on the first item, made me feel welcome on my first post, I appreciate it.

P.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identification of small item from French battlefield?  

Yes I agree with others Gasmask Diaphram piece, German MG 34 or 42 Linked rounds. timothy

- - Updated - -

Yes I agree with others Gasmask Diaphram piece, German MG 34 or 42 Linked rounds. timothy