MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Impregnated paper "container"

Article about: I got this at a yard sale for a couple bucks. I know it is military, and the fact that it is made out of impregnated paper makes me think it is german. Also there is only one marking which i

jh92
    ?

Default Impregnated paper "container"

I got this at a yard sale for a couple bucks. I know it is military, and the fact that it is made out of impregnated paper makes me think it is german. Also there is only one marking which is a very small anchor on the buckle. My pictures show all. if anyone knows if this is german and what it is let me know. If it isnt I apoligize for the spam.

2. # ADS

jh92
    ?

Default re: Impregnated paper "container"

jh92
    ?

Default Re: Impregnated paper "container"

SO I guess this isnt German?

?

Quote by jh92 View Post
    SO I guess this isnt German?
    Hello ,
    I do not think this is German WWII as the construction and materials used look post war .

That would be my thinking too.

Cheers, Ade.

This appears to be made of compressed fiber and lined with carpet padding (1950's to 1960's vintage). The strap and buckle were made by the Anchor company in Brooklyn, New York, shich supplied many of the sample case makers. One of the leading sample case manufacturers was the Fiber Products Company on Broadway. I have seen a number of their cases that are over 70 years old still in service. They designed and built the Bell Telephone Repairmans tool boxes back in the 1920's (Bell "B" Boxes) many of which are still seen in NYNEX trucks all over the metro area. A good example of product specifics adding to value would be the shipping cases that were used to ship 16mm and 35mm movies to/from schools and libraries. the fiber cases were strong and light and did not add to the weight and thus were acceptable for "Media Rate" shipping. The strap using the clencing buckle was easy to install yet was quite secure and did not come loose in transit. The design used flat fiber panels connected at the corners with compressed fiber "angles" and riveted together with chrome plated steel staple rivets.
    The same design is used today with plastic replacing the vulcanized fiber and the staple rivets are still chrome plated.

Sorry it's not the answer that you are looking for.

If I ventured a guess, I would think it was designed to keep a glass cylinder or jar intact during transport.

jh92
    ?

Yay an answer Well it is not what I was epecting but no biggie. Just glad i know what it is, thanks guys.

I can't see the darn pictures, but it appears everyone else can. Oh well.

jh92
    ?

thats stange

Bizarro, I can see them now. Definitely agree with the rest late 50's to mid 60's era.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast