Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just call me Bayonette !

Article about: Hello to you all I am in need of your assistance please. Specifically with regards to what was sold to me as a WW2 German Bayonette. I have attached the pictures below of the bayonette in qu

Default Just call me Bayonette !

Hello to you all

I am in need of your assistance please. Specifically with regards to what was sold to me as a WW2 German Bayonette.

I have attached the pictures below of the bayonette in question. The item was purchased via a South African Auction House last year and the listing stated that it was a definite German WW2 era bayonette. The listing also stated that it was thought to be an unissued item due to the good condition of the blade. These types of "extra" details always raise red flags with me, but I have no real frame of reference wrt bayonettes hence my need of assistance. My concerns are:

* The blade and scabbard have mismatched numbers so could surely not have been unissued
    * The bayonette is in very good condition including the grips
    * The blade has a dark grafite appearance rather than what I would expect, that being steel
    * The scabbard has a silver(ish) screw at the top
    * The waffen eagle and a number (?) are present

Now I know that a serial number mismatched pair are worth far less, but I am not interested in re-sale. I just want to know whether or not you think the bayonette and scabbard are in fact legitimate German WW2 items. The were unfortunately no further details from the auction house as to when and where it was found, by whom, why the mismatched numbers, no photos, etc. I paid R1000 South African Rand for the item, roughly $100 Dollars.

You will really help my peace-of-mind if you could confirm or refute my misgivings.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Kind regards

Adolf
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Just call me Bayonette !   Just call me Bayonette !  

Just call me Bayonette !   Just call me Bayonette !  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Just call me Bayonette !
    P
    Many

Default Re: Just call me Bayonette !

Hello and welcome. I wouldn't say it's unissued, but I looks in decent condition. Mismatched numbers are not rare. Matching bayonets are more desirable. $100 is a little high not having the frog, but not a gross over payment as to be upset. Blades do have a graphite look from the treatment. That's normal. Blade should not be sharpened.

Hi Helmetone, thank-you :-) So having looked it over, would you say it is a WW2 German Army Bayonette ? Need peace-of-mind before it goes back into the display case !

yes its ww2 german,waffen amt stamped cant go wrong.

Makers

The bayonet "cof44" = Carl Eickhorn in 1944

The scabbard S/244G = Mundlos in 1935

Incase you want a bit more detail:

The scabbard was made by 'Mundlos AG Nähmaschinenfabrik' between 1934 and 1937 making it pre war, I can't give you an exact date but someone else in the forum may be able to, all I know is that any with an 'S/***' code date between those years.

The actual bayonet was produced by 'Carl Eickhorn' in 1944.

Nice piece

Tom

Quote by Richie B View Post
    Makers

The bayonet "cof44" = Carl Eickhorn in 1944

The scabbard S/244G = Mundlos in 1935
    oops, you beat me too it!

Tom

A nice authentic piece.

Both pieces are original as already stated by fellow members. Safe to put back in the display case

Good morning chaps

Thank-you for the feedback, much appreciated. I am VERY happy to know the bayonette and scubbard are original ... history really comes alive when you are able to touch an item/s from the period in question. A question never to be answered but I would dearly liked to have known how a 1935-37 scubbard ended-up with a 1944 bayonette. To have an item manufactured so late in the war is an added bonus, thank-you so much for enlighting me to this fact. I am even more chuffed with the set.

Have a super weekend guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast