Article about: Its great to see all these jerrycans. Martin

Default Re: Kanisters of the Wehrmacht

Kanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the Wehrmacht

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kanisters of the Wehrmacht
    P
    Many

Ha Ha!!! ......good one Joe, got your story sorted for customs?

"Anything to declare sir?" .................."well let me explain, I collect stuff and "..........

Dan

Oops! I thought I posted the story behind the Kanister. My great aunt found in kanister in her house. She didn't know what to do with it, and didn't know that I am interested in militaria, so she gave it to the local library/ village museum. My aunt told me about it, so I visited the museum to try to bring the kanister home. Although the kan sits in a dusty, unappreciated corner of the museum, the head of the museum didn't want to let it go. So alas, no souvenir kanister for me.

Kanisters of the Wehrmacht

Bah, that's no good ..... relatives, it's all about timing!

?

Indeed, Lady Luck was not playing ball that day. Shame. Another nice example though, and good that you at least have the connection.

Regards,

Carl

That's ok, gents! It would have been tough getting it home anyway.

I may end up with it anyway... the library/museum is REALLY small and under funded... and the man in charge said that if they ever need to raise a few dollars, he'll be sure to let me know!

I didn't finish the trip empty handed! I came home with an Italian WWII messkit and an Italian leather Carcano bandolier that is worn over the shoulder like a sash. My great aunt also promised to give me a military medal that belonged to my great-grandfather... I assume it's a WWI participation/ Victory medal.

I also got to visit an amazing military museum and I got to climb around some German-made coastal bunkers.

My latest Kanister - an early ( 1939 ) 'X' type by ABP.
    A few pin holes in the bottom but remnants of original paint and that's the main thing. Another one ticked off the list - still to go, a wasser and ( ha ha ) a Sandrik SS ......... one can dream!
    Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kanisters of the Wehrmacht   Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  

Kanisters of the Wehrmacht   Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  

Hi there !

Wow these are all beautiful Kastisters!
    I thought I might post mine, too:
    It has been in use till 2010!! The owner did not treat it with care :-P So the paint is not what it was.
    Dou you think the remaining paint is the original one?

Kanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the Wehrmacht

By the way... It is still watertight :-)

?

Hi O.S.

Yes, your Brose example does still display some of the original paint, and if you look closely at the handle section, you can make out traces of the original orange/red base coat paint that was applied hot to prevent corrosion. As for still being watertight, that really is of no surprise. The standard to which these cans were manufactured was outstanding, and almost every example that I have ever owned (and that is plenty), has still smelt of fuel, and often had a few drops inside the neck too. The famous Third Reich period quality of workmanship is evident once again. A nice example, and thanks for adding it to this thread.

Cheers,

Carl

?

Superb example Dan, that is one of the finest "X" patterns I have seen for a while. Love the traces of base coat on the handle section, and a nice shot of the inner neck, to display how the original air vents appear. AMBI-BUDD example again, but you probably knew that. Incidently, it was AMBI-BUDD's chief engineer who actually designed the "X" pattern too.

Cheers,

Carl

Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast