Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Kanisters of the Wehrmacht

Article about: Its great to see all these jerrycans. Martin

Default Re: Kanisters of the Wehrmacht

Thanks for the added info on AMBI-BUDD being the original X Carl - yep, and despite a few holes I like it a lot but CARFIN has the best so far .........
    Dan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kanisters of the Wehrmacht
    P
    Many

Hi Dan,

Beautifull can Dan, a little patience; all comes with the time.
    Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

?

Here are a few images for consideration. These are the 5L "motorcycle fuel cans", as often advertised. However, are they period? Personally, I question the neck set up, and manufacturer's mark. Others have raised the valid point that period images of these in use are not available. The superb Kanister reference site Kraftstoff Behalter also fails to display this variant, despite many other sizes and formats present. Another forum member has also informed me that the "TGL" markings present have been questioned on another forum, where they were identified as post war East German cans.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kanisters of the Wehrmacht   Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  

Kanisters of the Wehrmacht   Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  

I agree Carl: East German for sure.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thanks Ade!

I think this solves the mystery. I found these photos on the G503 ( the US jeep ) forum.

"It is a parts cleaning kit from the former Deutsche Demokratische Republik(East Germany).
    There should be some brushes inside the center compartment. They were manufactured after World War Two.

The individual cans are often misrepresented on eBay as WW2 Nazi motorcycle fuel cans.
    Some of these kits were imported into the USA in the early 1990's and sold from $10-$20USD"

So, another good story ruined by the facts. Wish they were WW2 but sadly not!!
    Ah well, now we know.
    Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kanisters of the Wehrmacht   Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Good work Dan, thanks for that!

Cheers,

Carl

All round good sport Tiger88 went above & beyond in helping get this nice wasser kanister for my collection.

Made in 1942, this is a REAL DAK era tan kanister and when sat beside my 1943 OT one the colour difference is quite striking. This is a more 'pinkish' hue rather than the 'mustard' shade the later true OT items were ( though even those differed )

I can visualise this in North Africa with the korps quite easily ...... it still has the 'vibe' and if you hold your ear to the nozzle you can faintly hear the 'Panzerlied' - "Panzer rollen in Afrika vor!" ........true, would I lie??

Dan

Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Kanisters of the Wehrmacht Kanisters of the Wehrmacht Kanisters of the Wehrmacht Kanisters of the Wehrmacht

Here's one I picked up at a flea market near me in East Texas from a Louisiana dealer; I forget, but he MAY have gotten it in Europe. It was made in Borsigwalde in 1944 by Rhinemetall ( rhs ), but he said he researched the stencil on the side which seems to be MONTAN - UNION FFV ( ? ) to be from post-war use by a French oil company. The dark greenish - black paint is probably from its post-war use as well. According the the examples shown on the Jerrycan site, Rhinemetall unfortunately did not mark any of their cans with Wehrmacht. The only thing I've done to it was clean off some spots of light gray paint that looked like drips gotten in somebody's garage. Hope you like it!

?

Welcome James and thank you for sharing your example with us. It is nice to see a piece that bears the post war markings too, showing how it was utilised after the war. Indeed, this thread has several examples that could actually still be used today...testament to the high level of the manufacturing process during the Third Reich period.

Regards,

Carl

Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast