Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast

Kanisters of the Wehrmacht

Article about: Its great to see all these jerrycans. Martin

I have US and British ones too Carfin.
    Also from the 1950's. I will take some photos when I can.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kanisters of the Wehrmacht
    P
    Many

?

THX Guys!

My biggest regret during the last 2 years was not getting this wasser can:
    Kanisters of the Wehrmacht

I forgot to bid on it...I think it went "un-sold", but the can is probably long gone.

?

Any thoughts on this?

1944 "das" - lot num: 217

There seems to be 3 coats of paint, red primer, "gelb" factory and a thin layer of "grau"(?). Also a hand-painted red "20" painted on top. (I think to inform that it's a 20 liter can - I've seen these hand-painted "20"s before - and they were also "das" cans.)

Btw., is "das" somewhat of a rare maker? I don't see it too often...

Price is around 30 EU.

Cheers,
    Fabe

Kanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the Wehrmacht

According to the book "Wehrmacht Kanister 20 Liter" by Philippe Leger and Stephane Arquille, 'das' cans were only manufactured in 1941 and 1944. They say that they may have been produced in 1942 & 1943 but with a logo, which has not been identified. Also the 'das' code has no allocated manufacturer.

The red 20 indicates the weight of the can when filled with water or petrol.

I thoroughly recommend the book, it is a great reference for these canisters.

Hi Fabe,

Scarce manufacturer, good conditions & good price.

The paint marking "20" is only found on gasolin cans, its the total weight (20kg) of a "Kraftstoff kanister" with 20 liter gasolin.
    The paint marking "24" is only found on water cans, its the total weight (24kg) of a "Wasser kanister" with 20 liter water.

Best regards from Alsace , France.
    Carfin.

?

THX all for the input, I'll pick up the can on Sunday... 'will update.

?

ok, I got the can today - gave it a quick shower in the tub, cleaned it - the dark grey color is not paint, but patina. (no dents, rusting, pitting, leaks - even the bottom of it is pretty-much rust free)
    here are some pics:
    Kanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the Wehrmacht

I usually prefer cans with almost complete paint-jobs, but since this one is a rare maker, and is in a good condition overall - I'll probably keep it...

cheers,
    Fabe

Quote by Fabe View Post
    Any thoughts on this?

1944 "das" - lot num: 217

There seems to be 3 coats of paint, red primer, "gelb" factory and a thin layer of "grau"(?). Also a hand-painted red "20" painted on top. (I think to inform that it's a 20 liter can - I've seen these hand-painted "20"s before - and they were also "das" cans.)

Btw., is "das" somewhat of a rare maker? I don't see it too often...

Price is around 30 EU.

Cheers,
    Fabe

Kanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the Wehrmacht

Looks great alongside the wheels Fabe!

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

HEY gUYS,

what are your thoughts on this can's paintjob? original? kind of looks ok to me, but I'm always weary with stuff looking "too new", no rust, etc...

cheers,
    Fabe

Kanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the Wehrmacht

?

Ok guys - nevermind that can in my last post - I have some doubts about it (looks like some paint flaking on top ?)

BUT...

I just got this one! also a local buy here in Hungary - so the price probably was under the current market value (it was 50 EU - on ebay Germany, it would've been around 100 EU + 15-20 EU shipping)

It's a '1943 Austria Wien' / lot number: 993

Most of the yellow "gelb" paint is still present - looks like the seller oiled the whole thing, which I hate - I'll clean it off...

No repairs, no holes (seller assured me).

I'll update with more pics, when arrives.

Cheers,
    Fabe

Kanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the Wehrmacht

Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast