Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Kanisters of the Wehrmacht

Article about: Its great to see all these jerrycans. Martin

?

Default Re: Kanisters of the Wehrmacht

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    Here is another AMBI-BUDD Presswerk Wasserkanister that was in my collection. The photographs were taken not long after I acquired the piece, note the traces of fuel present around the inner cap area. The can was still being used, testament to the high standard of workmanship during the Third Reich period. The close up shot shows the markings WASSER 20L (Water, 20 litres), the AMBI-BUDD, Presswerk of Berlin manufacturer's stamp, batch number and year of manufacture. The traces of white paint present, are the remnants of the large painted white cross, that was added to all Wasserkanisters of the period, to identify them as water cans.
    interesting picture with your water-canister ... 70 years ago!
    It seems that the white cross were significant for water.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kanisters of the Wehrmacht
    P
    Many

hi there tiger 88
    have you sold the x kanister in your pics, if so i am sure i have just bought it
    regards jamie

?

Quote by JamieGerman44 View Post
    hi there tiger 88
    have you sold the x kanister in your pics, if so i am sure i have just bought it
    regards jamie
    Hi Jamie,

Yes, due to a lack of space, I moved on all the cans shown above last year. And I can recommend the dealer from whom you have bought it too, a very reliable gentleman. Enjoy your purchase!

Regards,

Carl

?

Quote by peewee View Post
    interesting picture with your water-canister ... 70 years ago!
    It seems that the white cross were significant for water.

Hi peewee,

That is a very nice photograph, thanks for sharing that with us all. Yes, as clearly shown, the large white painted cross was used to designate that the kanister was to be used only for water. They also often had a smaller painted 'w' on the handle section too.

Regards,

Carl

thanks carl

i am very pleased with my purchase, is there anything more you can tell me about it? it looks like it has the original paint, i have another that has been repainted, and i am awiating delivery of another can, that is in need of a repaint, i bought it cheap so i am going to have a go at repainting it myself.

jamie

?

Yes Jamie,

The can does have the original paint still present. It is a Muller Schwelm piece, manufactured during 1939. The chief engineer at Muller was actually the creator of the "X" pattern design. It was later copied by Italians, Swiss, and other nations, as were all the German pattern kanisters. The "X" pattern design prevented the can from distorting due to the excessive weight of the fuel, and prolonged the life of the kanister. For evidence of this, just open the cap when it arrives. That can was actually still being used by the guy from whom I bought it from a couple of years ago. Testament to the quality of workmanship during the Third Reich period eh?! I know many kanister enthusiasts enjoy repainting them, and they do look splendid when done correctly, but I never did this. If you have some repainted variants, would you care to show them?

Cheers,

Carl

thanks for the info carl.
    i will take pics of the repainted one i have and post them tomorrow, its a desert colour and it has a few dents but i bought it cheap some time ago. i did have a ss one but found out it was a fake, gutted about that, trying to find a genuine one now.

jamie

?

You're welcome Jamie, no problem.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Shall send you a pm shortly, regarding the SS kanister.

?

A fine example of the SS kanister...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kanisters of the Wehrmacht   Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  

Kanisters of the Wehrmacht   Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  

Kanisters of the Wehrmacht   Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  

Hi guys,

Here two of mine. The first normal paint & the second with camo strips

Best regards from Alsace , France.

Kanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the Wehrmacht

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast