Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

KM Binoculars

Article about: Thanks for the posts, can you guys give me an idea of what these are worth because i got an offer for them. I have mixed feelings about selling them so if I dont sell them it always nice to

?

Default KM Binoculars

Just picked up these binoculars for 30$, they are pretty salty but i still like them. I saw a pair of binoculars that looked like this one that were advertised as U-boat binoculars, any such luck here? Thanks for the help!

All the best,
    Stefan
    KM BinocularsKM BinocularsKM BinocularsKM BinocularsKM BinocularsKM BinocularsKM BinocularsKM BinocularsKM Binoculars

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KM Binoculars
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: KM Binoculars

L@@ks great, Navy

Hi Stefan. Yes they are U-boat congrats! Here is some info on it..............http://www.google.com/imgres?q=germa...h=146&hovw=172...................

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

$30?????. WOW!! what a great pick up,, will go great with a few Kriegsmarine Items.... Great link Eric Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thanks for that! I am so excited about that, I've wanted to own something from a uboat for years!

all the best,
    Stefan
    Last edited by thekid; 10-31-2012 at 03:04 PM.

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    $30?????. WOW!! what a great pick up,, will go great with a few Kriegsmarine Items.... Great link Eric Regards Larry
    I guess we all get lucky at least once, it was just my turn. I am pretty happy.

all the best,
    Stefan

Stefan, great score for only $30.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thanks for the comments guys! I am just curious if it is possible to find which Uboat these came off of, if not I can live with that.

All the best,
    Stefan

Hi Stefan. Not that I know of. These are called U Boat Binoculars and was used on U Boats but these were also used on surface vessels also.

Here is some info on it.
    Manufacturer/Model: Leitz beh Kriegsmarine (type ii) 7X50
    Field of View: 7.3 deg = 128 m/1,000 m; APFOV 51 deg
    Weight: 1,141 gr
    Exit Pupil: 7.14 mm
    Serial #/Year of Manufacture: 431741 = 1943
    The marking "beh" seen above the serial number is a 3 letter wartime German coding for the manufacturer E. Leitz Wetzlar.
    World War II Leitz Porro II 7X50 binoculars (called "tuna cans" by the Germans) are serial numbered at least 238203 –474439 (however, this is not sequential because other model Leitz binoculars have been seen also manufactured and serial numbered within this range) and, as suggested by Rohan, can generally be divided into three types. i) “E. Leitz Wetzlar” Marked-Serial # Range at least 238203 - 310223. This type also has a Kriegsmarine eagle marking and usually does not have coated optics. ii) “beh” Marked without Rubber Armour, Serial # Range at least 328770 -436830 . Earlier examples of this type are marked “T” indicating coated optics with a Kriegsmarine eagle. Later examples beginning with at least serial # 431583 do not have these two markings but still have coated optics and additionally have housings for silica gel desiccant cartridges on the prism plates with each prism plate secured to the chassis by a large ring instead of screws. Seeger shows such a binocular (serial # 431687) on page 291 which is identical to this collection’s example pictured above. iii)“beh” Marked with Rubber Armour, Serial # Range at least 440763 -474439. This type has coated optics, desiccant cartridge housings and is rubber armoured (often missing in part or whole and/or in dilapidated condition) with different style ocular housings than previous models. Although often called “U-boat binoculars”, these were also much used on surface vessels. The type iii) is the most common variant but in good condition with rubber armour intact may have same or greater value than the other types. The market value of WW II German hand-held military binoculars is very high compared to those of other countries and excepting the very finest ones (most made by Zeiss and of 7X or greater magnification) does not always reflect optical quality or rarity. This is certainly due to the interest of the many German WW II militaria collectors and as well as to Germany’s well deserved historical pre-eminence in the manufacture of high quality and innovative optical instruments.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

As the well imformed Eric says these are a nice set,but missing their rubber armour,there is a guy that makes fine reproductions, his email address is gerrard351@btinternet.com
    i bought a set a while ago and they fit perfectly and externally they look exactly like the originals,it might well be worth dropping him an email

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast