Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Kokonuss Feldflasche with Questions

Article about: Hi, Bought this canteen from a second-hand stamp shop, unfortunately no drinking cup and no neck stamps, at home I took the canteen out of its felt jacket and found I had a coconut canteen f

?

Default Kokonuss Feldflasche with Questions

Hi,
    Bought this canteen from a second-hand stamp shop, unfortunately no drinking cup and no neck stamps, at home I took the canteen out of its felt jacket and found I had a coconut canteen from Heinrich Ritter Esslingen - 1943. Looked through this forum & WAF forums, all show pictures of coconut canteens held in various straps & harnesses, not one in a felt jacket. Questions - were coconut canteens ever fitted into felt jackets? and does any member know what the initials R.F.I.42 stamped on the jacket & strap stand for ? any information welcome.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cocoa 1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	207398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cocoa 3.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	207399  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cocoa 6.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	207400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cocoa 5.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	207401  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cocoa 4.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	207402  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Kokonuss Feldflasche with Questions

Originally they were not issued with felt cover (I have a photo of felt covered coconut found in the plain wreck in my computer, though). Yours is probably put-together, the cover belongs to Gebirgsjäger canteen. RFI is maker's mark, but which manufacturer stands behind it, is unknown to me.

?

Gnadenlose - What you write can't be quite right, the canteen and cover fit together like hand & glove. The coconut canteen 1 liter is smaller than a gebirgsjäger canteen 1,5 liter. A coconut canteen would get lost in a gebirgsjäger cover, never fit - I've measured the coconut canteen + cover around the middle = 37cm, gebirgsjäger + cover = 40cm. I bought the canteen on the strength of the look of the cover, thought it was a gebirgsjäger jacket certainly looks like one, unless they made gebirgsjäger covers in two size (don't think they did). Any thoughts ?

Coconut is about 0.8l, medic's and GJ canteens are 1l. This kind of covers were made in even smaller size for HJ/BDM, but I've never seen these in regular size. Whatever it is, the coconut can't come with it.