Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Kriegsmarine Schlingerlibelle C.Plath

Article about: by drmessimer Klaus: I'll go out on a limb on this, but I'm 90% sure that I'm right. At 13.5 centimeter diameter that is probably a U-boat's diving plane station inclinometer. There was one

Default Re: Kriegsmarine Schlingerlibelle C.Plath

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Klaus: I'll go out on a limb on this, but I'm 90% sure that I'm right. At 13.5 centimeter diameter that is probably a U-boat's diving plane station inclinometer. There was one at eye level, directly in front of each sailor who was manning the forward or after diving plane wheel in the central control room. Dwight
    Hey Dwight, do you have any pictures of these in use?
    Thanks.

Luke

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Luke: This is the diving planes control station as found in WWII US Fleet submarines. The layout isn't materially different from the WWII U-Boats. The Inclinometers in this illustration are at the top of the photograph, side-by-side, inboard of the two large depth gauges. Unlike the Plath version featured in this thread, the US used a sort of rectangular version, but they are all alike in that they use curved glass tubes filled with alcohol and a bubble. They are item B on the description below Dwight

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fig14-1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	466700

18A3. Control station. The necessary instruments and equipment for submergence and control of the boat while submerged are located in the control room. The control room is the station of the diving officer who issues the necessary orders during a dive and directs the men at the manifolds, pumps, and diving gear in maintaining the submarine at the desired depth. An illustration of the control station is shown in Figure 14-1 shown above.
    The control station includes the bow and stern planesmen's stations and is equipped as follows:
    a. Depth gage, reading from 0 to 165 feet, indicates the keel depth,
    b. Inclinometers indicate the angle of the vessel's longitudinal axis with the horizontal.
    c. The plane angle indicators are miniature diving planes, the trailing edges of which range over degree scales and indicate the angle of rise or dive on the bow and stern planes.
    d. A motor control contact-type switch. provides selection of direction of rotation of plane-tilting motor in those installations using electrically operated planes. Hydraulically operated planes are controlled by a two-way valve.
    e. The selector switch provides a choice of motors on which the controller is to be used. The bow planes may be rigged or tilted according to the position of the switch handle. A similar device at the stern plane controller provides for use at the stern plane motor to operate the after capstan.
    f. The hand-operated clutch, on electric drive, permits shifting from power to brand operation of planes. Hydraulically operated planes are controlled by a valve which, when placed in the neutral position, permits manual drive direct to the planes.
    g. A depth gage reading from 0 to 600 feet, mounted at the center of the control panel, is visible both to planesmen and the diving officer.

Thank you, Dwight!

Luke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12