Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

leatherwork

Article about: Hello, I hope someone is able to help me out. I was send photos from brown leatherwork, which was said to be HY. But for what was it used when it indeed was for the HY. I have not much knowl

Default leatherwork

Hello,

I hope someone is able to help me out. I was send photos from brown
    leatherwork, which was said to be HY. But for what was it used when it
    indeed was for the HY? I have not much knowledge about equipment,
    but maybe others do have.
    So, please help me out. Help is very much appreciated. I have my thoughts
    after intensive research, but is there someone who can tell me more!
    Here some photos:

leatherwork leatherwork leatherwork

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement leatherwork
    P
    Many

What are your thoughts on it. For me the DRGM marking does not necessarily mean that it is Third Reich issue. It's not something I can immediately recognise.

Hello,

I am not familiar with equipment, but my thoughts were it could be the
    leather for carring a foldable litter (Rückentragbahre).
    The brown leather and DRGM makes me feel it is anyway early (about 1933/1934).

HJ collectors think it is leather for a Sturmgepäck, actually a Tragegerüst.
    I know such a thin existed, anyway for the NSKK and is in the 1936 manufacturing
    regulations. It however has a total different look. May be the leather is an early
    version!!!

leatherwork leatherwork

The full plate in color (from my volume 4):

leatherwork

IMO, The front looks similar to a flag holder for Honor Guard or parade events. It seems to be missing the cup for the lower end of a flag pole which would have attached to the end of the large straps. Not sure of the back side.

Burt

Quote by milmuseum View Post
    IMO, The front looks similar to a flag holder for Honor Guard or parade events.
    Sorry, but definitely not. Flag bearers' bandoliers were of a completely different and far less elaborate design.

From the whole make-up, this is clearly some kind of load-bearing rig that was to be hooked into the belt at the front (left and right) and which was used to carry something that was not extremely heavy, but rather large and of vaguely cylindrical shape on one one's back.

If think something like a collapsible stretcher is a very good possibility.

HPL2008: it was suggested to carry something cylindrical in shape and is guessed at a compressed air bottle??

It - in no way - has to do with carrying straps for a flag or standard bearer. Not even for a Schellenbaum!

The leather neither seems to be for the litter, as the colored plate shows the bag for the litter has its own
    carrying straps. Maybe the suggestion leatherwork for a Sturmgepäck (Tragegerüst) is the closets for now!

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    HPL2008: it was suggested to carry something cylindrical in shape and is guessed at a compressed air bottle??
    No; I wasn't thinking of a gas cylinder.

My assumption that the object was of vaguely cylindrical shape - I mean that in a rather broad sense - is based on the fact that the two separate horizontal straps at the back are just attached to the center one of the three vertical straps, which to me suggests something of a somewhat rounded cross-section. If the object were more flat/angular, I would expect the straps to be attached to the outer ones as well.

Another suggestion: How about a rolled-up tent?

Hello Wim! What about the possibility of it being firefighter/ fireman associated? Possibly for carrying a larger cylindrical extinguisher or air tank? Just a thought. Best regards my friend good luck finding your answer.

Brian

Yes, could be, but why the leather is brown?
    I thought for fire-brigades the leather was black,
    anyway since 1934.

leatherwork

Wim this was the only thing that popped into my mind when I thought HJ. The restraints for the glider pilot program, but the ones pictured appear to be canvas like material. Again just a thought? Best regards.

Brian
    Last edited by bsiwula1; 07-24-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast