Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lot of MG ammo carrying items

Article about: Hello, these have sparked my interest and I would be happy to add them to my collection. I have very little knowledge on these kinds of items and would like opinions on their originality. Th

Default Lot of MG ammo carrying items

Hello, these have sparked my interest and I would be happy to add them to my collection. I have very little knowledge on these kinds of items and would like opinions on their originality. The paint looks a little too new especially on the two ammo baskets in my opinion. The pictures aren’t the best so apologies for that.

These are the only images available.

Cheers,
    Bodhi
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lot of MG ammo carrying items   Lot of MG ammo carrying items  

Lot of MG ammo carrying items   Lot of MG ammo carrying items  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lot of MG ammo carrying items
    P
    Many

hello, Yougo paint?
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Hard to tell from the lighting, but if it’s a pea green colour it’s postwar Yugoslavian paint. They often painted over wartime drums, carriers and boxes, though.

Look for a maker’s mark. If you can find a three letter factory code or a WaffenAmt, they’re wartime German with post-WWII paint. If you can see ‘BK’ in a box stamped on them anywhere, they’re postwar Yugoslavian manufacture. The ‘BK’ is a Serbian military control marking.

Regards, B.B.

Thank you for the helpful replies, on the ammo box I can see a 41 and the faint outline of a WaffenAmt, as for the others I don't see any markings. From the images I think the paint is a sand tan colour. I probably will pass on these if they have been post war repainted though.

Thanks,
    Bodhi

The gurttrommelträger should be marked on the end plate between the handle fixings (one of which I see is bent). If they were cheap I’d be tempted to buy them, paint them feldgrau and move them on for a profit?

If you're careful, you can strip the postwar paint to reveal the original coat underneath. It's usually very well-preserved, too, in comparison to carriers that have been left with their original paint exposed for the last 70+ years.

I stripped back a Yugo-painted trommel late last year, with pretty good results. As long as you take care, you can restore these items back to their wartime appearance fairly easily.

Lot of MG ammo carrying itemsLot of MG ammo carrying itemsLot of MG ammo carrying items

Regards, B.B.

As said above, if the items themselves are wartime and you can get them for a decent price, the Yugo paint isn't too much of a problem; repaint them how they would have looked during wartime if you don't want to run the risk of removing paint and they'll be lovely display pieces that are still worth a few bob.

Last I checked the set costs around 220 USD, is that too much or a good price?

Is that for all items pictured?

I believe so, it doesn’t say otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast