Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe Aircraft Navigation Beacon Morse Keyer/Control Unit MZG-1

Article about: Luftwaffe aircraft during WW2 depended for navigation on an extensive network of omnidirectional radio beacons. Besides the transmitter & antenna, the key item was the MZG-1. I've upload

Default Luftwaffe Aircraft Navigation Beacon Morse Keyer/Control Unit MZG-1

Luftwaffe aircraft during WW2 depended for navigation on an extensive network of
    omnidirectional radio beacons. Besides the transmitter & antenna, the key item
    was the MZG-1. I've uploaded 4 pix of this unit.

I'm in the process of acquiring one of these. They could run on AC line voltage
    between 110 & 250 V. The keying drum that actuated the microswitches was driven
    by an electric motor. The Morse ID of the unit could & would be changed as
    frequently as needed, as could the speed of the motor.

This unit is in pretty decent shape given the time that has passed. The
    internals are near pristine & show typical German workmanship.

Jack

Luftwaffe Aircraft Navigation Beacon Morse Keyer/Control Unit MZG-1Luftwaffe Aircraft Navigation Beacon Morse Keyer/Control Unit MZG-1Luftwaffe Aircraft Navigation Beacon Morse Keyer/Control Unit MZG-1Luftwaffe Aircraft Navigation Beacon Morse Keyer/Control Unit MZG-1Luftwaffe Aircraft Navigation Beacon Morse Keyer/Control Unit MZG-1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Aircraft Navigation Beacon Morse Keyer/Control Unit MZG-1
    P
    Many

Default Re: Luftwaffe Aircraft Navigation Beacon Morse Keyer/Control Unit MZG-1

A closer examination of the nameplate indicates that this is actually an MZG2 Morsezeichengeber (Morse Code Sender), circa 1943. It is complete except for the Schlüssel (key) needed to change the Morse code character on the code drum but I have obtained the exact dimensions of this key from a collector in Finland as well as pix of the key.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Aircraft Navigation Beacon Morse Keyer/Control Unit MZG-1   Luftwaffe Aircraft Navigation Beacon Morse Keyer/Control Unit MZG-1  

Luftwaffe Aircraft Navigation Beacon Morse Keyer/Control Unit MZG-1  

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    I have never seen something like this before.
    It looks awesome.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Thanks! The Nazis had hundreds of these navigation beacons all over Germany & occupied Europe. After their defeat, there was no one left to guard or destroy this stuff in the formerly occupied countries, so some of this stuff was 'liberated' by the locals. Major use of these beacons was by the Nachtjagd. Their ground radar controllers would direct them to specific beacons from which they could attack RAF & USAAF bombers.
    Last edited by jacksinnj; 09-16-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks for the info.
    Cheers
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

This equipment is mine , but is for sale , RGds Ragnar