Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M31 canteen/

Article about: Good morning from Canada gentlemen I recently purchased this M31 canteen complete with cover and strap dated 1937 now I have a few questions the first being is it regular wehrmacht or heer i

?

Default M31 canteen/

Good morning from Canada gentlemen I recently purchased this M31 canteen complete with cover and strap dated 1937 now I have a few questions the first being is it regular wehrmacht or heer issue . I would also like to know if the black bakelite cup I have from a different later war issue (1942) canteen would be appropriate to display on this earlier model as the other canteen I have is incomplete.The last and Most important question is does any one have a spare canteen cover that they would be willing to part with as this one is a little to salty for my display and if so would you PM me with the details Thanks gentelmen as allways your opinions good or bad will be welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M31 canteen/   M31 canteen/  

M31 canteen/   M31 canteen/  

M31 canteen/  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M31 canteen/
    P
    Many

Default Re: M31 canteen/

First of all it's very nice early canteen! You should look for aluminium cup, then it would be even cuter (but I'm afraid you hardly get the cup with the same maker mark). As much as I can see from the pictures, the straps are dried and thus shortened a lot, so it would be a problem to attach alu cup to it. Does the bakelite cup fit on it with such short strap?

?

I did not want to try and attach the bakelight cup untill I knew it would be appropriate to the canteen.Another question how would/or can you restore the leather without ruining it

If the straps are dry like bisquit, there's nothing to do about it. I know that some people have manipulated dry leather with clycerin and some acids, but if it's really working is unknown to me. I have tried to soak leather in warm (not hot!) water and then roll it up hundreds of times, also I creamed it with regular hand creme. Sometimes it works, but in longer perspective the leather will be dry again. I really can't give you any good advice about it I do have some canteens in my collections that had extremely dry straps. I just soaked them in warm water which makes them soft for a moment. In that short period of time I attached the drinking cup and fixed the straps to right positions. Half an hour later the leather is dry again and the only way to move them is to soak them again. It works ok if you only want to put your canteen together for display. But if the straps are shortened by drying, you cannot do anything at all, I do have one attic found canteen like that myself and I left it as it is.

?

Thank you for the advice as I just want to add the cup for display purposes only

Hello,
    Your canteen was issued with an alumiminium cup, but a bakelite one can replace it (don't break the carrying strap...)
    The real stunner item here is the early Brotbeutel which displays the Reichswehr experimental grey/green leather. That's a vey nice example, congrats....
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)