Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M31 Mess Kit Question

Article about: I have a Mess Kit marked HRE 43 . It is marked in the usual spot on the lid where handle is riveted. It is made from aluminum but has the later war style stamped steel loops that hold the ba

?

Default M31 Mess Kit Question

I have a Mess Kit marked HRE 43 . It is marked in the usual spot on the lid where handle is riveted. It is made from aluminum but has the later war style stamped steel loops that hold the bale on and they are not marked. There is very little paint left on it but the paint that is left matches perfectly as if these two parts have always been together. Do you guys think this is a matching example or a typical mis-match???M31 Mess Kit QuestionM31 Mess Kit QuestionM31 Mess Kit QuestionM31 Mess Kit Question

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M31 Mess Kit Question
    P
    Many

?

Oh, and this has a 41 dated strap ...

tiny photos but common for a late war item - some makers went BACK to alloy from steel. Why? ...I don't know.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Does anybody know if the maker HRE even used this type bale attachment in 1943?? If so, did they use them on aluminum bottoms?? Also did HRE mark their steel bale swivels as these are not marked ??? A lot of questions but I'm trying to figure out if the combination I have is even possible. Come on guys, help me out here.... Mike

Hello,
    99% of manufacturers that produced aluminium messkits between late 1943 and the end of the war used this type of attachment for the wire handle. So far, i have only found out that "EEF" in 1943 and 1944 still used the aluminium molded pieces. There might be others but they're still unknown to me.
    Messkits made of aluminium late in the war are marked on the lid (DMN 44, RBNr x/xxx/xxx) or on the attachment system (MN44, MN45) , more rarely on both locations ( CFL 44). I have never handled a late HRE in aluminium, so i can't say if they marked the sides as well. As they also produced steel messkit with the simplified attachment system, IMO they kept the same system when they started to produce aluminium messkit again late 1943.
    You should take better photos...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Thanks and I will get better pics up soon

?

So, they started out with aluminum, went to steel, and then back to aluminum???

yes...exactly...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

So, this kit might actually be matching and original!!??

?

M31 Mess Kit QuestionM31 Mess Kit QuestionM31 Mess Kit QuestionM31 Mess Kit QuestionM31 Mess Kit QuestionBetter pictures ..... Hopefully
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M31 Mess Kit Question   M31 Mess Kit Question  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast