Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

The M31 Messkit and Wartime Variants

Article about: By the Way i Have theese one, i only buy strange things (eheheheheheh) It has this one marked EWH 446. What do you think? Anyone has manufacturers references to this M31 Kits and Feldflasche

Here is an updated picture of my current mess kit collection:

Top row from left to right: GNL 41 top/HRE41 Bottom, L&SL40 top/AWF40 bottom, PStZ39 top/PStZ39 bottom.

Second row from left to right: JSD 37 top/JSD 36 bottom, SMM43 top/SMM43 bottom, EWBN39 top/EWBN39 bottom.

The bottom one: MN38 top and (FWBN?) 38 bottom.

Also one of my newest "sporks" marked: HRE 1939

The M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime Variants

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The M31 Messkit and Wartime Variants
    P
    Many

Here is my AWC enameled mess kit. Posted on WAF and everyone confirmed that this is factory applied paint.

The M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime Variants

Very nice thread, I add two pieces found in my area, relics of Italian campaign.
    The first in enameled steel very dark green, black seems; it is interesting because was camouflaged on field in light green.
    The second aluminum made and gray/green painted is full of cutlery.

Cheers
    Roberto

Enameled steel
    The M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime Variants

Aluminium
    The M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime Variants

I have a question about Wehrmacht mess kit use. Now, we all know that the Red Army's mess kit looks extremely close (especially to the untrained eye) to the M31 and the Germans captured millions of them. What is everyone's opinions on Wehrmacht use of Red Army mess kits?

For sure they were used but they are still Russian.
    Same goes for spaten.... many Russian ones are found in German positions but captured or not, they are soviet issue.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    For sure they were used but they are still Russian.
    Same goes for spaten.... many Russian ones are found in German positions but captured or not, they are soviet issue.
    Thanks for the response, Dan.

I'm not saying that they magically become German in any way, I'm just interested in the use, who would have got them, frontline, Sicherungs, Luftwaffefeld...or did it matter, were they repainted (I know that Olivgruen is quite close the Russian green) and so on. It's relatively hard to say from most period photographs and the ones where it's clear what's being used, it's always a German mess kit.

Michael

?

I have a Mess Kit marked HRE 43 . It is marked in the usual spot on the lid where handle is riveted. It is made from aluminum but has the later war style stamped steel loops that hold the bale on and they are not marked. There is very little paint left on it but the paint that is left matches perfectly as if these two parts have always been together. Do you guys think this is a matching example or a typical mis-match???

Quote by SsgMac View Post
    I have a Mess Kit marked HRE 43 . It is marked in the usual spot on the lid where handle is riveted. It is made from aluminum but has the later war style stamped steel loops that hold the bale on and they are not marked. There is very little paint left on it but the paint that is left matches perfectly as if these two parts have always been together. Do you guys think this is a matching example or a typical mis-match???

Hello,
    Please post a new thread concerning your messkit in the fieldgear forum...(with photos)
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Heres my M31 with both top and bottom parts marked MN38 - the kicker is that the soldier added some trench art and his initials.

Horst

The M31 Messkit and Wartime VariantsThe M31 Messkit and Wartime Variants
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

I just got my first M31 messtin. I usually don't collect German unless it literally falls into my lap for a good price, and this one did for €10. The lower part is pretty standard all aluminum except the steel wire handle dated 1940; the lid is dated 1944 and is aluminium too. The funny bit is that the handle of the lid is aluminium too... I though those were usually made of steel? I have no idea if the paint is original but there's no sign of any other paint underneath it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast