Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

M38 Gas mask

Article about: I decided to gamble and bought this mask and canister set. What do you guys think? From my knowledge it seems like an early war canister since it doesn't have the watertight marking

Default M38 Gas mask

I decided to gamble and bought this mask and canister set.
    What do you guys think?
    M38 Gas maskM38 Gas maskM38 Gas maskM38 Gas maskM38 Gas maskM38 Gas maskM38 Gas maskM38 Gas maskM38 Gas maskM38 Gas maskM38 Gas maskM38 Gas maskM38 Gas maskM38 Gas mask

From my knowledge it seems like an early war canister since it doesn't have the watertight marking

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 Gas mask
    P
    Many

The canister and the mask's filter are both early-war examples. The GM-38 is more often seen issued with the FE 41 filter, as opposed to the FE 37. A bit rough around the edges, but a good honest gas mask set.

Regards, B.B.
    ''Everyday you think of living. We are born to die, but I appreciate life. We live day by day, and I always say: yesterday is history, today's reality, and tomorrow's a dream.' -- Henry Flescher, Holocaust Survivor -- March 14, 1924 - August 29, 2018

I'll send pictures to the thread when I get ahold of the mask.
    Always nice to have the earlier filter, since that's the filter I don't have.

Only things I need to get to complete a whole collection of masks are the kriegsmarine radio variant, DAK variant and others with the different paint, the different canisters, and the illusive GM-24 and GM-44

MAP
    ?

Looks like a nice set.

Getting the different variations should be fun, but a challenge. Just be very very careful with any camo can. They go for high dollars and many are fake and hard to tell
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice score

Don’t be tempted to don the gas mask as it has been said that WW2 German masks may contain asbestos so always best to err on the side of caution.

Look forward to see the photos.

Andy

Great pickup. Everyone should have one of these in their collection. The prices are creeping up too.
    Yours is in good condition.
    Nick

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Nice score

Don’t be tempted to don the gas mask as it has been said that WW2 German masks may contain asbestos so always best to err on the side of caution.

Look forward to see the photos.

Andy
    Agree with not trying it on, but the GM30 and GM38 filters used activated charcoal and not asbestos. The Luftschutz filters for the GM37 and M44 are a big no no. Nice set, a mixture as said the FE37 was issued with the Luftschutz GM30 but all bits are collectable in their own right.

As with anything Afrika Korps, DAK gas mask sets sell for a small fortune when they do turn up.

There are some M38 masks floating about on the market with yellow-painted metal parts. These aren’t Afrika Korps, but rather masks that were reissued postwar in Holland. They can be identified by a ‘C’ or ‘8’ ink stamp, usually marked on the filter. Most sellers have a tendency to market them as Tropical/DAK, so be aware of those.

Regards, B.B.
    ''Everyday you think of living. We are born to die, but I appreciate life. We live day by day, and I always say: yesterday is history, today's reality, and tomorrow's a dream.' -- Henry Flescher, Holocaust Survivor -- March 14, 1924 - August 29, 2018

I'm not going to don that mask whatsoever in any scenario!
    Even if WW3 were to start I have other gas masks, and even other filters to use in general.

A few questions,
    Is the paper tag on the mask where the extra lenses are a name, or a rank?
    I've been digging through and the closest rank I could find was an SS rank, and I doubt that it's what that mask is, so I'm thinking it's an abbreviation of the first and middle name with the full last name.

Thoughts?

Hello,
    This is not a SS rank, the paper reads Obergefreiter Riepl
    The set is most likely put together but all parts are ok
    Thanks
    There's a new Spiess in the youtube garrison, so 150 push-ups in a row, 15 stadium laps and no leave for the next month for all those who don't type " d3rNooB Spi3ss " in the YT search bar......Verstanden ?

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast