Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Markings on waterbottles

Article about: Can anyone tell me where all ww2 german waterbottles marked with the makers initials and date at the drinking part where it meets the body of the flask?waterbottle offerd for sale without ma

Default Markings on waterbottles

Can anyone tell me where all ww2 german waterbottles marked with the makers initials and date at the drinking part where it meets the body of the flask?waterbottle offerd for sale without markings there.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: Markings on waterbottles

Quote by LAS VEGAS View Post
    Can anyone tell me where all ww2 german waterbottles marked with the makers initials and date at the drinking part where it meets the body of the flask?waterbottle offerd for sale without markings there.
    Not all bottles were marked, it goes for both aluminium and steel canteens.

Thankyou for the information.

Hello,
    If there's nothing to worry about with unmarked red or green steel canteen, that's not the same story with aluminium ones as if there are genuine prewar or wartime produced aluminium canteens without usual markings, there are also postwar ones. The quality of the metal and small differences in the workmanship make the difference. Beware also of postwar unmarked aluminium canteens enhanced with fake markings.
    Thanks
    PREUSSENS GLORIA

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    The quality of the metal and small differences in the workmanship make the difference.
    I agree with every word you said, but when you look at the wartime alu bottles, you can easily see a lot of variations both shape- and material wise. Some of the alu bottles are strong and solid even after 70 years in the ground, at the same time some are corroded (sorry, I dont know the word; the iron rusts, alu does what?) like hell. So I guess there's not 100% reliable method to detect what bottle is made in what period. But I wish there was

Hello,
    For aluminium, it's called oxidization, or oxidation...steel rusts with humidity, aluminium oxidize with air...aluminium canteens kept in storage away for air are safe...
    IMO postwar aluminium was of far better quality than wartime one.
    Thanks
    PREUSSENS GLORIA

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)