Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Medic/GJ canteen?

Article about: Hello collectors; just got a German canteen, and reading previous posts I realized it should be the medic/GJ version. But I also noticed that the leather strap is too short to hold the alu/b

Default Medic/GJ canteen?

Hello collectors;
    just got a German canteen, and reading previous posts I realized it should be the medic/GJ version.
    But I also noticed that the leather strap is too short to hold the alu/bakelite drinking cup, so I'd like to have your opinions on it.
    I apologize for the pics quality, hope these are clear enough.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medic/GJ canteen?   Medic/GJ canteen?  

Medic/GJ canteen?   Medic/GJ canteen?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medic/GJ canteen?
    P
    Many

I've seen these listed as canteens for Female Personnel in the RAD, but I don't know if that's true...It's in excellent shape, that's for sure!
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 11-17-2016 at 08:04 PM.

A good 1 liter canteen. Medical types have a different harness - this one is not medical. 1 liter canteens were not restricted to use with GJ units. They had general issue to troops including those in Africa and Mediterranean Theaters. I will guess that the retaining strap has been cut down due to damage. It may have been replaced too because it carries an RB number and the canteen and cover are manufacturer marked. You commonly see these with bakelite cups. The cups were often, damaged or lost. NH

I've got this one...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medic/GJ canteen?   Medic/GJ canteen?  

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    ...I will guess that the retaining strap has been cut down due to damage. It may have been replaced too because it carries an RB number and the canteen and cover are manufacturer marked. NH
    Good point, Neil. Actually, the straps are intact, and being RB marked (so after '42) the replacement theory is strongly possible. I guess it is a leather strap intended for the smaller, standard canteen. Who replaced it, is another question... 🤔
    At least, do you think it is a legit straps/hook/lid ensemble?

Here are photos of my 1 liter for comparison. I don't think the example you have is fitted with the standard .7 liter strap. It would not fit in the back and attach to the stud properly. The securing straps commonly got worn at the end and broke off. It is not uncommon to see them cut down. That is my observation. A good canteen nonetheless and well marked. NH
    Medic/GJ canteen?
    Medic/GJ canteen?

After carefully examining the retaining straps, I note your example has a squared offe end. Looking at the pressing marks along the side (the lines on the edge of the strap) you can see they end near the cut. It appears 2 to 3 inches have been cut off. You could get this repaired. Best person to do it is Frank Barone in LA. For repairs, it is best to send the original with any broken bits and pieces. Hard to tell his repairs from original as he does museum quality work. Most collectors would advise you to leave it as it is but if you want a display with cup the strap needs replacement. Photo shows the quality of his strap leather. Top one is a repro strap. NH
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medic/GJ canteen?