Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Mess Kit JSD 41 (complete)

Article about: Hello, Take a look at my new mess kit. The paint is original. How were the initials engraved at that time? The mess kit is numbered. But the belt is not original? Is he from another country?

Default Mess Kit JSD 41 (complete)

Hello,
    Take a look at my new mess kit. The paint is original.
    How were the initials engraved at that time?
    The mess kit is numbered.
    But the belt is not original? Is he from another country?
    Do you think, its a good piece?

Thank you Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mess Kit JSD 41 (complete)   Mess Kit JSD 41 (complete)  

Mess Kit JSD 41 (complete)   Mess Kit JSD 41 (complete)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mess Kit JSD 41 (complete)
    P
    Many

Owners initials scratched on, but the photo is blurred so cannot see it properly. Yes strap is not original to the mess kit (kochgeschirr).

The Kochgeschirr looks good for sure. Hard to say about the initials but the style certainly looks modern. I don't think I have ever seen initials expressed like that within the period. The very square, block capital letters seem very post war to me or at least not done by a German soldier but that is just my opinion and I stand to be corrected.
    The strap definately does not belong to it and I doubt it is even German let alone German military. An original is not that hard to find though.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 08-19-2019 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you for the answers.
    I have taken even better photos here. The color is a bright olive green. I hope the paint is original. The photo with the complete part is made in sunlight. The initials seem to be engraved with a machine. The Kit is the same number.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mess Kit JSD 41 (complete)   Mess Kit JSD 41 (complete)  

Mess Kit JSD 41 (complete)   Mess Kit JSD 41 (complete)  

Mess Kit JSD 41 (complete)  

Hello,
    This matching messkit is nice. As mentioned before the strap is not a german messkit strap.
    Concerning the engraving, i think it's ok. The letters were not engraved with a machine IMO...
    I know this style of engraving and have some items with the same king of job done on them (of which one messkit fully covered with engravings)
    The previous owner (soldier) of this messkit used something special to achieve this work, something that does not exist anymore nowadays and that was called "patience" in the past...
    Congrats it's a great messkit
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Default Your "engraved" Mess kit

I enjoyed seeing this,I will post my only example after this.
    I hand-sewed some buttons today,so it might just be my frame of mind,but I thought I would send this photo of sewing machine foot marks on my late war rucksack's leather.
    I wonder if a period industrial sewing machine might engrave this into light metal,so long as the needle was removed?
    Thanks for posting your interesting M31!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mess Kit JSD 41 (complete)  

Hey, the thing about the sewing machine can be right, I'll keep on researching.
    I searched 3 years for such a measuring kit and am really happy.
    I'll also have the belt on it, maybe the soldier replaced it because the old one was lost. ..

Quote by Kateri View Post
    I wonder if a period industrial sewing machine might engrave this into light metal,so long as the needle was removed?

Hello,
    April fool in August ?.....
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)