Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940

Article about: Fresh in this afternoon, and item that doesn't come up all the time, an MG34/42 Vehicle mounted Ammunition Case or Patronenkasten 36. From what I have read there was a first and second model

Default MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940

Fresh in this afternoon, and item that doesn't come up all the time, an MG34/42 Vehicle mounted Ammunition Case or Patronenkasten 36. From what I have read there was a first and second model, the first used a lock like this one and the second had locking horns and was designed for the MG34 zwillingssockel. Many of the cans were modified later in the war for use in the MG34 mount that was installed in the front of halftracks. The modification involved removed the double hook latch and welding the spring loaded lid shut. Then a standard latch was attached, making the lid one piece.

I am thinking my case is the latter, as the spring loaded flap has been welded shut and the lid in one piece. There is still plenty of the field grey paint to the outside and inside,with spots of red primer to the later, with the addition of what looks to be ordnance tan paint to the flap on the inside and outside. This might have been done because of the way it was installed to a vehicle but am not sure.

Either way I am very happy to have grabbed it and looks good on my 'Normandy' Shelf Now I just need a MG belt hanging out of it!

Regards
    Jason

MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: MG34/42 Vehicle Mounted Ammunition Can,BZL - 1940

Nice piece Jason
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Not seen one of these before, thanks for posting. That Normandy shelf looks like it is filling up nicely aswell

Nice piece Jase - the paint on the top looks like rough numbers ... '220' or something like that???
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Very nice
    Cheers
    Nuno

Nice addition on your beaut displayed collection

Hi Jason ..Great find!!...for sure this is not a commonly found item...looks nice in the display you have. Perhaps an enlarged photo of the MG gunner shown ...for a back drop to your display?..Nice item. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks for the comments guys!

I didnt think about the paint on the top to be 220 Dan but now you said it I can see it, pity about that rust spot being in the way thought.

Not a bad Idea Larry, I might just have to do that. I need something to make some height in the center and the photo might just do that

Jason

Nice piece of not easy to find ammo can. timothy