MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

MG42 Ammo Box - gew44

Article about: Just catching up but the others have been faster."gew44" is the manufacturer's code / year of production and the paint isn't original IMO.I've sen several boxes and other MG-relate

Just catching up but the others have been faster."gew44" is the manufacturer's code / year of production and the paint isn't original IMO.I've sen several boxes and other MG-related equipment accessories thus painted and IIRC they were used by the Portuguese Army.Both a laquer paint or a distemper similar in color to panzergrau were used.In the first case the paint is hard to remove to reveal on the original finish without damaging the latter, but if distemper (fine pigment mixed with water and glue) was used it could be easily removed with hot water and wallpaper stripper,leaving the original color intact.
    HTH
    Horrido
    Last edited by Horrido; 09-06-2013 at 09:33 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement MG42 Ammo Box - gew44
    P
    Many

Hello,
    Thanks for the additional photo.
    If the red arrow shows the same paint than on the ammo box, it means that it's not the original factory paint.
    Thanks

MG42 Ammo Box - gew44

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Thanks everyone for all your input! As I've said, I suspected this one of not having original paint, sort of is my "black sheep" in my MG ammo boxes collection, so I've been keeping all my smelly-greasy MG belts in this one!
    I'm keeping it as it is, not touching the paint...
    I have 4 others (2 alu + 2 steel) boxes, but of course I'll be on a lookout for a metal box like this with factory finish...

Cheers,
    Fabe

MG42 Ammo Box - gew44MG42 Ammo Box - gew44

Hello,
    From these photos, the aluminium ammo box with tan paint over the factory finish is quite nice...congrats...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Some other countries used after war repaint not original FG as stated I like your ord tan ones shown above original ammo boxes and paint on those. Nice maker and date around it somewhere covered up by post war paint might be a Waa. timothy

?

Thanks, I can actually imagine that one being used by the DAK...nice dark/mustard tan.
    Both alu. boxes are "WS 1939 WaA 546"

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    From these photos, the aluminium ammo box with tan paint over the factory finish is quite nice...congrats...
    Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2