Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My first gas mask/canister

Article about: by roger9344 Thank you for that bit of information. If I'm ever fortunate enough to find one with the original straps perhaps I will be able to tell the difference as well. You're welcome...

Default Re: My first gas mask/canister

Quote by roger9344 View Post
    Thank you for that bit of information. If I'm ever fortunate enough to find one with the original straps perhaps I will be able to tell the difference as well.
    You're welcome...
    When you'll have an original one in hands, you'll see the differences in a split second.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first gas mask/canister
    P
    Many

You are absolutely right. I received another gas mask with canister today, and the difference in the straps is immediately obvious. Even apart from the leather tabs, the quality of the weave is much finer on the original straps, and they are not nearly as thick. Thanks for that bit of data!

Hello,
    When you write "leather tab", do you mean that there's a leather tab at the end of your new strap ?
    Gasmask straps with leather tab were not the norm, only a few makers produced them. There're nice and desirable. You can also find rubber tabs (most famous maker ebd). The norm was just web. There are a least a dozen of variants for Gasmask straps...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :

I don't know about the German gas mask filters, but the Danish M/26, M/31, M/38, M/47 and M/49 filters contained: a layer of corrugated cardboard ("smoke filter"), a layer of activated carbon and finally a layer of cotton wool.
    There is however four to five different types of carbon used, and a similar amount of different additives used together with the carbon. But no asbestos. I don't know what they used as additives, but a wild guess is, that it is not good for you 60+ years later

Here are some pictures of my second gas mask/canister. Mask is size 3, 1941. Filter dated 1940. This one has the owners name on the strap of the mask, inside the lens container cover, and on the long strap on the outside. I don't know if I can ever find out more about Uffz. Weninger, but it would be nice.

This one still has the spring with cleaning cloth at the bottom, and is marked with a painted '76' on the mask and on the canister.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first gas mask/canister   My first gas mask/canister  

My first gas mask/canister   My first gas mask/canister  

My first gas mask/canister   My first gas mask/canister  

Hello roger,
    This is a definitive set, congrats, it is a great german Gasmask...
    The best part being that the canister lid retained the rubber ring (with wire ring inside) adopted in 1941 in order to improve the dust/waterproofing of the carrier.
    There should be a letter "D" at the bottom of the canister...
    Thanks

In Memoriam :

?

Nice canister. Congrats.

I have found several German gas mask canisters (and spent a lot backbreaking time digging for them), but they all were damaged beyond repair or rusted through.

?

Nice mask and canister Roger as stated by JPhilip there should be a ( D ) marked on the bottom of the canister this stands for the word "Dicht" here is a good website for referance material ( Main Page )

Regards Mark K

The 'D' is indeed in place where it should be. My first canister is also marked 'D' on the bottom, but the O-ring is missing . . .

?

I want a sound gas mask container too instead of these rusted hulks, which is all I ever seem to find (at least in the gas mask contatiner depertment)!!
    Dug a long time for this first one:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast