Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My first gas mask/canister

Article about: by roger9344 Thank you for that bit of information. If I'm ever fortunate enough to find one with the original straps perhaps I will be able to tell the difference as well. You're welcome...

Default My first gas mask/canister

I picked this up kind of at the last minute at the SOS in Louisville KY (USA) today. I've been wanting one for some time, and there it was, calling out my name!
    The straps are all there, and hopefully are original. The canister is marked 42ebb, and the filter is marked 1940. Some rust on the outside of the can, but it is solid. The spare lenses are missing, but at the price I can't complain. The rubber on the mask is nice and supple. I suppose one could use this, if you didn't mind breathing through an 82 year old filter.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first gas mask/canister   My first gas mask/canister  

My first gas mask/canister   My first gas mask/canister  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first gas mask/canister
    P
    Many

Default Re: My first gas mask/canister

"if you didn't mind breathing through an 82 year old filter."
    that may contain asbestos.

No kidding! Definitely not on my to-do list. I got enough exposure to asbestos on board ship back in the early '70's.

Very clean Roger you can get the spare lenses easy, you can find orig in paper for a fair price on Ebay.
    And these look great on a foam head with a Lid!

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Thanks, Eric. I know I have seen them available, so wasn't too concerned that they weren't in there. I intend to put it on a head, and put a helmet on top of it, if it displays like that OK.

Quote by roger9344 View Post
    No kidding! Definitely not on my to-do list. I got enough exposure to asbestos on board ship back in the early '70's.
    To true Roger.
    Treat most pre 1980's military/civil emergency mask filters as containing Asbestos and not wear them.It was widely used by most nations.
    A very nice set in top condition.
    Well done mate.

An 82 year old filter? Is it 2022 already?

Nice find Roger!

OOoops. How about 72 years. My mind was on sensory overload yesterday evening after spending a day of browsing hundreds of tables loaded with military.

Hello,
    Sorry to say, the canister, Gasmask itself and filter are german WWII, but carrying straps on the canister are not. They're german but postwar, used on Bundeswehr canisters. The web is different and the straps are slighlty thicker. Sorry again for this bad news.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thank you for that bit of information. That is too typical, I think, to have postwar straps on these things. Still and yet, it makes a nice display, and the average observer will not know these things. I, however, will know, and appreciate you letting me know. If I'm ever fortunate enough to find one with the original straps perhaps I will be able to tell the difference as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast