Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mystery Red Canteen

Article about: I have this canteen that I just can't identify... It is in a cloth carrier and has some leather straps. I took the canteen itself out of the carrier and it is entirely red in color. There is

Default Mystery Red Canteen

I have this canteen that I just can't identify...

It is in a cloth carrier and has some leather straps. I took the canteen itself out of the carrier and it is entirely red in color. There is also a circle stamp with "RM 1944."

Can anyone help me identify what this is? Is it German?

Most importantly, can someone tell me what it is worth?

Front:

Back. There is a "smudge" on the fabric which I believe is the original owner's initials... K.G. I think...:

Detail on the buttons

If necessary, I'll take the canteen out of the cloth carrier and take a picture of it and the stamping...

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mystery Red Canteen
    P
    Many

Default Re: Mystery Red Canteen

It's salty but still nice example of German late war canteen. These steel canteens were produced from 1943 till the end of the war, can also be seen painted green and enameled to black, different shades of blue etc. The cover material is sometimes called Italian gabardine. My experiences about the value in such condition have been between 25-50 euros.

Quote by gnadenlose View Post
    It's salty but still nice example of German late war canteen. These steel canteens were produced from 1943 till the end of the war, can also be seen painted green and enameled to black, different shades of blue etc. The cover material is sometimes called Italian gabardine. My experiences about the value in such condition have been between 25-50 euros.
    Wow! Thank you so much for the response... I had no idea! I thought it was a cheap knock-off...

Does the red color mean that this canteen was issued to a certain branch of the German military... or did each factory make them in different colors?

These are general issue to all branches of the armed forces. Some factories used red enamel, while others used black etc.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    These are general issue to all branches of the armed forces. Some factories used red enamel, while others used black etc.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks for the response! That's exactly what I figured.

This canteen turned out to be a gem in my latest garbage finds... I was expecting it to be a worthless post war remake!

Does this particular type of canteen have an official name, or is it just known as a late war canteen?

Always know as the Feldflasche Modell 1931

Please see here:

MP44.nl - German Uniforms and Equipment - Feldflasche

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade! You're the best!

There's one thing about the steel canteens still a bit unclear to me: they are widely called enammeled, but the red and most of the green ones are actually just painted not enamelled. All the other colours (so-called Schindler's blue, dark blue, black, brown...) are covered with enamel and not painted. As far as I know the enamel is NOT a paint but specific type of covering material for metal. So where does this wide spread "enameled steel canteen" come from? Is it English' rule maybe?

Hi, I think that this is "lost in translation". In England we often call any hard finish applied to metal as "enamel", even when it is not a true enamel.

Cheers, Ade,

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi, I think that this is "lost in translation". In England we often call any hard finish applied to metal as "enamel", even when it is not a true enamel.

Cheers, Ade,
    You're right. When I hear enamel, I think of the shiny red soviet medals and awards...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast